My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon.
I'm a newbie with an 'oldie' Kubota.

I have a 1986 G6200, 16hp diesel w/48 deck.
It runs and cuts great for 15 minutes or so, but then will bog down if blades are engaged. If I stop moving and/or disengage blades, I can 'catch' engine and keep from stalling, but it will continue to bog if blades are engaged and tractor is in motion. Tractor does not need to be actually cutting for it to bog down, the blades just need to be engaged and tractor moving. If I shut down tractor and let it cool, I can get another 15 good minutes out of it, then bogging returns. Temp is fine, nowhere near running too hot per guage. Could this be caused by belt heating up and slipping? Any other ideas? Whatever help you could provide is appreciated!
PS - thanks to Sargeant for recomending this forum. TONS of info here!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard sjazz23.
My 1st swag would be a safety switch but I'm not sure your yr/model has them.
Sounds like the trouble starts once the engine warms up to it's operating temp -or- heats up too hot.
A couple questions:
Ok after rereading your post I'll try again. (somehow I missed where you said it was a diesel)....

1) 2nd swag, contaminated fuel. Did this start after a recent refill?
2) is it overheating when it starts to bog down?
3) the air filter could be clogging up, when was the air filter last changed out?
4) the fuel filter could be clogging up, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed out?
5) is the radiator clear and free of debris.

Sometimes the easy checks will clear it up.
Let us know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Volfant,
Thanks for the reply!
You are correct - no safety switches (which I must say at the risk of being politically incorrect, is nice, although I do realize they serve a greater purpose!)

Responses to your responses:

1. Nope - I know it's not a contaminated fuel issue, as I've had 2 different brands of deisel produce the same results.
2. Nope - According to gauge, it's running fine temp-wise. No where near the red!
3. Nope - Air filter replaced for new season.
4. This one is interesting, and I'll start here by replacing the fuel filter, although if that was the problem, why would I get 15 good minutes out of it before bogging down? I believe I changed the fuel filter 2 seasons ago (maybe 3).
5. Radiator is clear - something I check before starting every time (right after checking oil level).

I'll start with fuel filter and let you know the results, but I'll also check back in case you or someone else has other ideas.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard sjazz23.

1) 2nd swag, contaminated fuel. Did this start after a recent refill?
2) is it overheating when it starts to bog down?
3) the air filter could be clogging up, when was the air filter last changed out?
4) the fuel filter could be clogging up, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed out?
5) is the radiator clear and free of debris.
OK - Replaced out fuel filter. Got about an hour of run time, then same thing..bogging out. BUT, noticed the small vent hole in gas cap was plugged with dirt. Cleaned that out, and will give it another try this weekend. Hopefully that's it!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
OK - Replaced out fuel filter. Got about an hour of run time, then same thing..bogging out. BUT, noticed the small vent hole in gas cap was plugged with dirt. Cleaned that out, and will give it another try this weekend. Hopefully that's it!
It could be it but it seems you were able to increase your run time w/the filter change which keeps leading me back to fuel.

You may want to try some Diesel Service 911 or similar fuel conditioner while you're at it. It could be that some alge is growing in the tank/lines which could be clogging up the fuel system. Fresh fuel won't kill it off once it's got a toe hold, it needs an additive thats designed to kill it off. bad thing is you'll have to replace the fuel filter again when it gets clogged due to the killed off alge......
There also might be some water thats still present in the bottom of the tank, the conditioner will take of that too.

In any case hopefully the fuel cap issue clears it up.
Let us know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may want to try some Diesel Service 911 or similar fuel conditioner while you're at it. It could be that some alge is growing in the tank/lines which could be clogging up the fuel system. Fresh fuel won't kill it off once it's got a toe hold, it needs an additive thats designed to kill it off. bad thing is you'll have to replace the fuel filter again when it gets clogged due to the killed off alge......
There also might be some water thats still present in the bottom of the tank, the conditioner will take of that too.

Will use additive as well.
I'm hoping it is the vent hole.
This is what I'm thinking...If hole is plugged/partially plugged, it could create a vacuum within the fuel system, thereby restricting fuel flow enough to bog engine while under load.
Makes sense, doesn't it?

I'll let you know how I make out.

Again, thank you for your time and input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright - update: I have my father-in-law doing most of the grunt work as I haven't been able towork on this during the day...

Drained fuel and refilled with different. Added injectors additive. Father-inlaw mowed almost my entire lawn for 2 hours this past Friday (how about that, free lawncutting!), and said that although it did bog a few times, he stopped and it came right back. He says it was no where neat the constant bogging I would get after awhile. HOWEVER, when I got home last night, my wife said she had the tractor out to cut the one side my FIL did not, and said it starting bogging almost instantly. My FIL is putting in more additive today and see what the result is.

Should we continue down this path, or does it seem like something larger? Thanks again!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
If you've still got the original fuel fiter that you removed, open it up and look to see if theres any kind of debris in it. If there is you may have to replace the filter again as the new one is now probably getting clogged up too.

Still sounds like a fuel related issue. Water and/or alge etc can be hard to get out of a system sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you've still got the original fuel fiter that you removed, open it up and look to see if theres any kind of debris in it. If there is you may have to replace the filter again as the new one is now probably getting clogged up too.

Still sounds like a fuel related issue. Water and/or alge etc can be hard to get out of a system sometimes.

You sir, are a mastermind! So get this.....The filter you are talking about is behind the rear whell, as I've changed it out before. So I've posted earlier that I haven't been around during the week, so my retired FIL has been doing the work, and changed the fuel filter for me last week. I ask him where the old fuel filter was so I can look at it per your suggestion, and he shows me this longer cylindrical filter. I say, "that's not the one I'm looking for, I want the one right below the tank, behind the wheel, that's encapsulated in plastic." Blank stare. I go out to the garage and peer behind the wheel, and there she is, filter never touched. "Didn't know it was there" he responded. He had replaced the cartridge up near the engine, thinking that was the only one. We ran out and got a new filter, jacked her up, removed the wheel, and
replaced the filter. Looking at the old, you could see the gunk in it. My FIL went so far as to cut it in half to see what was in it, and it was just little blobs of mud. So we started her and ran her a bit, and she sounds GOOOOOD! I'll let you know if we hit any more snags, but I'm guessing that seeing what was in the filter, this had to be the cause of the problem.
Thank you for your input.
I truly appreciate it, and will someday. somehow, find a way to make us even.

Thanks again!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
:thThumbsU
Yep, that elusive ole hidden filter will get ya every time :D

Hard to say how that got into your fuel. Theres been a few fellows thats posted about their little son's pooring all kinds of stuff in their daddy's tractors just to help ole daddy out :D :D

If your fuel supplier and/or storage is questionable in quality you can try, "Mr Funnel" http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html
to make sure you add good clean fuel to your machine(s).

Let us know how that G6200 works for you and any mod's you've done, we like those kinds of things around these parts :D

·
No Longer With Us
126 Posts
That G6200 is an amazing tractor, and well worth the cost of the filter to keep it running strong and smooth ... because of this post I'm going to go out and change both fuel filters, the hydraulic filter and my oil/filter tomorrow on my G5200 I recently bought ... mine has NO bogging at all - but after reading this, I'm going to be proactive about it – thanks for the follow through on this problem you were having, this could really save someone a lot of time, money and angst

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: G6200 Bogging Down - UPDATE

Hey all -
Sorry for the delay on the update..2 kids in the middle of baseball and softball season, plus summer hockey, pls gymnastics, etc. leads to some long days and no time to sit...But I digress....

So we did change the fuel filter behind the rear wheel. Took the tractor around the front yard one full rotation and......wait for it......wait for it.......split the right front tire! Granted the tires are the originals, so 23 years old, but dangit, I got them to hang in there as long as I could! The thing was like a racing slick at the end.

So anyways, replaced the tire and proceeded to cut the entire 2.5 acres of grass (less what the house sits on) with nothing even resembling a hiccup!

Thanks to all for their input, and especially to Volfandt for the quick diagnosis, and giving me back the quietest 2 hours of my week by allowing me to mow my lawn all alone again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts