My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a G5200 mostly for the engine. Thought to have a cracked block but really had a loose core plug under the cam idler gear. Fixed that and the engine seems to run good. The tractor had been sitting for 3 years or so but I started the engine and tried to move. I have never had a hydro tractor so I was not sure what to expect. It moved forward and reverse but seems not to go very fast in forward. I may just be used to a higher road speed on geared tractors. It would move fast enough to cut grass but I was wondering if a slower top speed is normal for this tractor. The hydro is quiet but I checked the fluid and it is like milk. I found a plastic cap on top of the hydro but feels like it will crack if I try to remove it with pliers. I am going to change the fluid but where do I refill? Is it that small plastic cap. I do not have an owners manual and was not planning on keeping anything but the engine however the quick forward reverse changes possible on a hydro may change my mind and I may fix up the rest of the tractor.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
Good find on the engine. Freeze out plugs are supposed to be the weak link and it looks like it done it's job.
I'm not sure on how to service your HST. Some take UDT and others take multiweight motor oil, none should look like milk tho :D
The bad fluid could definitely decrease the HST's performance. Generally an HST is as fast or faster as a comparable gear tractor.
You may have to contact a dealer for the info your needing. They usually part with good advise when one spends a few $$$'s with them.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I only paid $100 for the tractor so I can fool with it for a while. I assume the red plastic cap on the hydro is the fill hole but I still can't get it to turn. I will keep trying!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts