My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad day yesterday-first G18 stops running and then the 60 inch deck on my G20 blades starts and stops spinning. I noticed the grass was not being cut very well so I looked down and saw the blade spindle going fast, then slow, then fast, etc... I went to the barn and noticed the pto lever had no clearance at the front of the slot. I adjusted clearance to 3/4 inch and tried to mow-same problem. Two side notes-(1) tractor only has 265 hours on it,and (2) this happened once last year but after adjusting gap mower worked all last summer and this spring until now. I would suspect pto clutch but this would seem like a very early failure. I have plenty of room on the adjustment rod and may try to change gap both ways to see if there is a change.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I tried adjusting the pto clutch again. I adjusted the rod a turn at a time in both directions. With a 3/4 inch gap it would act like before-started spinning quickly then turned very slowly. At all other adjustment gaps the pto would not turn at all, even with a one turn adjustment from 3/4 inch. There is also very little tension on the lever when engaging-but with a firm lever disengaging. The only thing I did not do per instructions was to lower safety switch bracket because I did not see how that would interfere with turning the adjustment rod.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Today I tried adjusting the pto clutch again. I adjusted the rod a turn at a time in both directions. With a 3/4 inch gap it would act like before-started spinning quickly then turned very slowly. At all other adjustment gaps the pto would not turn at all, even with a one turn adjustment from 3/4 inch. There is also very little tension on the lever when engaging-but with a firm lever disengaging. The only thing I did not do per instructions was to lower safety switch bracket because I did not see how that would interfere with turning the adjustment rod.
The safety switch can prevent the transmission arm from traveling its full distance. It can literally hold the clutch in a slip or off position.

It is important to have it out of the equation until the PTO is adjusted.

Sheldon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts