My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
According to parts radar, it was a Magnum 16HP (that we all really know is an 18HP, M18S). Not sure of the spec number. Gravely part #045537.

Sheldon

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to parts radar, it was a Magnum 16HP (that we all really know is an 18HP, M18S). Not sure of the spec number. Gravely part #045537.

Sheldon
Thanks. I was wondering because the tractor has 16G wheels and steering, but the engine shroud is marked 18HP. All of the 16Gs I've ever seen are marked 16HP. The hood markings had been removed.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Maybe the engine was replaced. Which exhaust does it have? 16G's that far back had two seperate mufflers, 18 & 20G's had the single muffler manafolded together.

If it has an oil filter and the single muffler, I would bet the engine was replaced at some point.

Sheldon

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the engine was replaced. Which exhaust does it have? 16G's that far back had two separate mufflers, 18 & 20G's had the single muffler manafolded together.

If it has an oil filter and the single muffler, I would bet the engine was replaced at some point.

Sheldon
It didn't come with mufflers, it was blowen up when I bought it. The engine was black without a filter. Don just told me it should have been red if it were original.

One of the reasons I asked was the hitch arms are short like an 8000. I taught all of the twin Gs had the longer hitch arms. I guessed it might have been a 12 G in it's first life.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
It didn't come with mufflers, it was blowen up when I bought it. The engine was black without a filter. Don just told me it should have been red if it were original.

One of the reasons I asked was the hitch arms are short like an 8000. I taught all of the twin Gs had the longer hitch arms. I guessed it might have been a 12 G in it's first life.
I have two 20-Gs sitting out front of the garage. One is an early model, the other a later one. The early one has an engine guard that bolts outside the hitch and blocks use with a ball type hitch. Engine is red. The newer one has an inside the hitch guard and has the black engine. The early one had to have it that way as the hitch is really short. Another way to tell age is to look at the headlight mount. Early ones are steel and later ones are aluminum.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two 20-Gs sitting out front of the garage. One is an early model, the other a later one. The early one has an engine guard that bolts outside the hitch and blocks use with a ball type hitch. Engine is red. The newer one has an inside the hitch guard and has the black engine. The early one had to have it that way as the hitch is really short. Another way to tell age is to look at the headlight mount. Early ones are steel and later ones are aluminum.
Bingo again! That's what I was wondering about. Mine has the short arms and the outside engine guard. My 20G has a black engine, the longer arms and the inside guard as does the 24G. I don't know what year either of them are. I think the 20G is a 1990.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts