My Tractor Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
1) Lower the center roller one or two positions. This will attach the front linkage lower and allow it to lift the deck higher??
My center roller can only go on one way. Looking at the parts diagram that may be possible with the older decks but not mine apparently. Good thinking though.

I mowed tonight and finished in the dark. We'll see tomorrow if and or how the adjustments help out.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Cut looks great this morning. I can't see the 1/4 or so difference in the left to right height. Probably foolish to look for that kind of precision in a gt anyway.

Looks like I've found the sweet spot.

Another idea I had though was welding on some front caster wheels on either side of the deck. My dad bought a Yazoo master mower new in 1976. He used it 25 years and I used it since up to this year. It cuts great. Commercial or golf course quality for sure. The deck rides the ground on 4 caster wheels and is out front. I have an old parts Yazoo too, so I thought about using the caster wheels from that.

Then again, I'm pretty happy with the Kubota now as it cuts. I miss the outfront deck under my peach trees though. I'm halfway considering selling it in the Spring and getting a Walker ZTR.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My center roller can only go on one way. Looking at the parts diagram that may be possible with the older decks but not mine apparently. Good thinking though.

I mowed tonight and finished in the dark. We'll see tomorrow if and or how the adjustments help out.

Thanks
my center roller is fixed also. The problem with scalping on plush lawns is the rear wheels that are only 1.5 to 2" wide sink down in the turf and of course the entire mower follows. There is room I believe to install a full length roller to replace the rear wheels... I can use the same brackets the wheels are attached to and the load stretch out over 4 ft will make the deck float better. If I find a roller assemble for sale cheap on eBay I may give that a try.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
my center roller is fixed also. The problem with scalping on plush lawns is the rear wheels that are only 1.5 to 2" wide sink down in the turf and of course the entire mower follows. There is room I believe to install a full length roller to replace the rear wheels... I can use the same brackets the wheels are attached to and the load stretch out over 4 ft will make the deck float better. If I find a roller assemble for sale cheap on eBay I may give that a try.
We don't have that type of grass here so it's hard for me to picture. My deck wheels are always in contact with the ground. So your saying the deck wheels sink in the turf but the tractor rides right along on top? That's some thick grass.

Maybe just a spring loaded rear roller between the rear wheels. Make the springs stout enough to take some of the load off the gauge wheels but not necessarily all of it. I've seen similar ideas sold as striping kits.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So your saying the deck wheels sink in the turf but the tractor rides right along on top? That's some thick grass.
yes the grass is thick and about ankle deep when freshly cut.
This morning I was reading my manual for my old mower on the G5200 I owned and it states "On thick springy grass or soft ground, the mower rollers may sink into the ground giving too low a cut. Adjust the cutting height to get the desired cut." I say you need to anticipate such things and adjust cut high then lower as turf allows. It is a little hard to un-scalp a strip of grass, but you can always lower the mower and cut a second time if grass is still too long. My neighbors yard and my lawn between the sidewalk and the street look awful. They may be ok by the beginning of next week.
Also I have found that you can't mow with one wheel on the turf and one on a sidewalk. I have no problems of that type if the mower has full width rollers.
BTW: I mowed my back yard today with the rollers set at b & x which is not listed on the chart but is somewhere between 3.2 and 3.5". I had no problems with scalping at all .

·
Registered
643 Posts
mc25a,

I shortened my front linkage by 1" to see what happened. The front of the deck was too high.

Adjusted the linkage to 1/2" shorter. Front of the deck was too low.

Adjusted the linkage to 3/4" shorter. Front of the deck was slightly high, but I'm happy with it there.

Works great!! Thanks again for this post!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sounds like you have it dialed in. I am also very pleased with the cut now. My previous mower was a cub cadet and had a much better description of the adjustment process. They recommended the front slightly lower than the rear (1/4" or less) so I went with that on the Kubota as well and it works very well.

The interesting thing is that even though I'm significantly shorter than the 15.4" the manual states I'm right in the middle of the adjustment range. At 15.4" the turnbuckles were halfway off the threads. I suspect that is an error in the manual. Either that or they intend for you to measure the 15.4" diagonally rather than straight line as the manual illustrates.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
oh I merasured mine on a diagonal...your supposed to follow the bend of the link? I have not adjustment left... can't go any shorter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No you don't follow the bend, but the way the diagram in the manual shows it you measure as if with a square. From the front hole straight line back to the plane of the rear one.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I forgot to mention that, several years ago, I put 18x6.50-8 tires on the front of my G1900 to lift it up about one inch. The original tires were 16x6.50-8.

Phil, you might consider this approach if you are out of adjustment??

I got those tires from Tucker Tire on ebay. Don't remember what they cost, but it wasn't a lot. I since have bought rear tires from Tucker for my Ford 3600. Good outfit to deal with.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just to update the post I've mowed with mine a couple more times since my final adjustments and the cut quality is excellent. Oddly enough, my front linkage is adjusted almost exactly in the middle of it's range. Right where you would expect it to be.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I forgot to mention that, several years ago, I put 18x6.50-8 tires on the front of my G1900 to lift it up about one inch. The original tires were 16x6.50-8.

Phil, you might consider this approach if you are out of adjustment??

I got those tires from Tucker Tire on ebay. Don't remember what they cost, but it wasn't a lot. I since have bought rear tires from Tucker for my Ford 3600. Good outfit to deal with.
well, I have no issues with the mower on the Kubota as I sold it last Saturday. The new owner is happy with the cut on his converted pasture turf. He said that he cut Sunday and it took only 45 minutes to cut what was taking several hours with his big box junk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Holy crap. I just found this thread and just in time. I have been frustrated with my early model G1900 4ws for the past year. My father gave me the tractor since he didn't need it any more. I have not been able to adjust the darn deck to save my life. I can't get it high enough and it is uneven and the lawn looks terrible.

I need to re-read this thread over again carefully and see what my measurements are. My deck says that I should adjust the assist springs, but I can't find them! Sounds like early models didn't have them, but the adjustment label on the deck still references them. MC25A's pics not longer show up so I am having trouble understanding where the dimensions are that need to be checked / adjusted.

I have really been just about ready to sell this Kubota. My old Cub Cadel was a breeze to use and the lawn always looked great. Of course I sold it when I got this swanky Kubota. I'm regretting it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, since most of the pics from the first poster are not showing up, and I can't find my owners manual - I have no idea what to measure. Anyone have extra pics they can throw up? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I don't know where the pictures went. You need to adjust the rods that go from the front of the deck to the front of the tractor. This will adjust the height of the front of the deck in relation to the back. Tightening the rods will raise the front of the deck. Loosening will lower it. Don't worry about the manual because the suggested measurements were way off. At least on mine. Mine worked best when the front was about 1/4" lower than the back.

The back rides on the wheels. Since yours doesn't have springs just disregard that part. Your front rollers should not ride the ground. They are only there for anti-scalp purposes.

Trust me, you have a much better machine than the cub. Just get it adjusted right and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I am now completely Kubotaless. The new owners are happy with what they got but the owner of the G5200 doesn't use it to mow and the new owner of the G1800 is happy with the cut as long as he does not have to spend his precious time off, mowing the yard. After my experiences with the G1800 I am pretty much over Kubota. I guess it never had a chance as the quality of the "Simplicity Cut" is a hard act to follow.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.