My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Mid as well send his number to me. I have it somewhere. But where did I write it down :dunno:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,234 Posts
Geepers, I've been away for so long that I started this post thinking I was reading about a Cub Cadet tractor (paint color fooled me). Nice Gravely! Glad that it runs well with a new spark plug. Sometimes it is nice to be lucky.

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Geepers, I've been away for so long that I started this post thinking I was reading about a Cub Cadet tractor (paint color fooled me). Nice Gravely! Glad that it runs well with a new spark plug. Sometimes it is nice to be lucky.
:thanku: and yes the yellow and white gravelys were a fairly short time span from 66 to 74ish I think.

Anyhow the old 450 is doing well. Only hicup is the battery sh it the bed when the weather got warm. And for some reason when the battery and the jump box charge up while running it turns the oil light on. :dunno: kinda odd but it did it twice, once on camera in this vid :thThumbsU

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Been a bit since an update on the 450. I have been mowing the back yard around the garden and my buildings and such with it. And has ran great with no more issues. Does burn some oil but for 40 some year old machine im a happy camper.

Now todays progress and reason for posing is I gave the 450 a decal to make it known whats under that seat pan :fing32:

P1020687.JPG

P1020688.JPG

Hood still needs to come off and get a sanding and paint treatment before I apply the other 2 stickers to them. They are very durable stickers! As I had to peel both ends back up to get the corners to lay right. very tense moments and a few :1106: later it looks great.

Next time I mow I'll get the 2 onans back for a photo :fing32:

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Steve the best way to put decals on is with soapy water. It allows you to move the decal as needed without wrecking it. Squeegee the water out and let it sit for a bit and it will stick. Google has some good videos.
The 450 looks good.

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Steve the best way to put decals on is with soapy water. It allows you to move the decal as needed without wrecking it. Squeegee the water out and let it sit for a bit and it will stick. Google has some good videos.
The 450 looks good.
I know do as I say not as I do :fing32: :sidelaugh I used that but they still stick good!

And thanks guys shes comeing along great :D

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Its time to update what i've been up to behind the scenes.

First off paint, say what I know I know :fing32:

P1020803.JPG 20 feet or 20MPH job is fine by me

P1020805.JPG

P1020806.JPG The stickers just break up the white just enough

P1020807.JPG

P1020808.JPG Now on to a what sounds like a leaking head gasket problem. Which i'll get to here at some point :dunno:

·
Professional Amateur
1,269 Posts
Looks pretty good!

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Pretty Good?

Other than the Navy, That's the best looking tractor you have i say.:fing32:

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Pretty Good?

Other than the Navy, That's the best looking tractor you have i say.:fing32:
First off :thanku: guys

Better keep quiet the 818-T is listening. It had the same treatment not so many years ago :drunkie:

P1020783.JPG :fing32:

Hey I was mowing with the navy L the other night :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
That tractor looks so much better now. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to my 450 as soon as I find a place.

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
That tractor looks so much better now. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to my 450 as soon as I find a place.
Thanks John :fing32:

Ok on to the noise heard in this vid right at the beginning

So on a plus note the head gaskets seemed fine. Changed them anyhow, still same. And bores and valves look alright.
P1020811.JPG .010 over been rebuilt once at some point

P1020812.JPG So I tore the tines off which are really east to get off.

P1020814.JPG And well houston theres your problem :hide:

P1020815.JPG

P1020816.JPG Fly wheel spin on there a few times, but looks use able yet

P1020817.JPG Crank looks good

So need a new keyway which I should be able to get from work.

I'll sand the the crank and fly wheel a bit. And when I put it back together I'll mark where the key way is so I can tell at a glance if it shears again :fing32:

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Been awhile. But with the 450 makeing noises I put her on the back burner spare tractor list till I had a chance to check the motor over good.

Makeing sure we got that oil pressure

Nothing to serious found

Go for broke and see what happens. Other than useing oil now not much. I'll pull the motor off some day and rebuild it from the block bearings and up.

I have another block but pitted cylinders and I would have to switch cranks. So another day

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Been awhile gents. Had been hatching a plan for the 450 project. Getting cleaned up last year for the fair
DSC00520.JPG

Fair week looking good
DSC00346.JPG

Fast forwars a few months. Tearing apart block swap 1. Getting the crank out here to inspect
DSC01375.JPG

Worse than what I have 30 over can't bore anymore
DSC01380.JPG

So bring in the 450 and ccka with wrong crank 2
DSC01392.JPG

Getting her off and tore down
DSC01401.JPG

How I was removeing the timeing gear with out the right bolts to pull it
DSC01404.JPG

450 vs an 816 crank. Only need a 450 crank for the other motor
DSC01407.JPG

Outa pics on this one. Next one motor 3 comes apart. And put the best motor I can together with out machine work

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Motor 3 comeing apart
DSC01416.JPG

She's standard, nice
DSC01424.JPG

Last pic old crank
DSC01418.JPG

Switched crank, adapter plate on and points box switched, input gear installed, valves adjusted
DSC01431.JPG

Side note if you do this the cylinder cooling fins do need clearanced for a 400 adaper plate
DSC01432.JPG

Motor bolted to the trans first. Keeping the oil pan and starter off ect makes it so much lighter to throw around. side note oil pan with start is fun to hold over head and get the bolts started lol.
DSC01436.JPG

Oil pump, oil pan, flywheel, heads and manifold installed and ran. Still same noise grrrrrrrrrrrr
DSC01438.JPG

Fully assembled, and figured out was a leaking carb gasket the whole time. Boy was I mad at myself after figuring it out. One squirt of pb blaster around carb base quieted right up. And stayed quiet for about 2 hours. Gonna order intake and carb base gasket for it
DSC01444.JPG

But with that figured out lets go break the old girl back in. Main spare might cleared to be a main now :D
DSC01453.JPG

Old girl is starting and running great with only slight smoke at start up for 30 seconds then clears. Only other time I notice smoke is if you rev down smoke for just second. Its had plow latches on since the last time it went in the shop. Knowing what the squeal is im more than willing to run the motor now and not worry too much. Shouldn't greade anyhow
DSC01477.JPG

I'll put the vids up here when there all live. Need to edit the test mow with it yet. Not even uploaded yet. Another project off the list :D

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
Steve, I wish we still had the old emojis. I would have posted the one banging it's head against the wall. To realize that it was just the carb. gasket after all the work you did... Who would have thought..?

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,046 Posts
Just went through the same thing(well, kinda) with the 24-G........cleaned the carb twice. Still running really rough. Blew out the fuel lines. Cleaned the petcock. No dice. Couple squirts at the carb base, and you know the rest. The new gasket arrived yesterday.

It happens.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts