My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
Last summer a subcontractor roamed the roads (and in my case driveway) drilling holes around the bottom of poles to do whatever analysis they do. Then they drove plastic screw plugs into the holes they drilled for the poles that passed:

View attachment 2440530 View attachment 2440530
They did that around here too, and dug out around the base then wrapped the pole in some kind of tape.

·
Super Moderator
31,034 Posts
They came around here and where they could they reinforced the poles right where they met the ground with fiberglass, they did one right at the front of my property. I talked to the team and they said they can get another 10 years out of a pole like that.

·
Administrator
17,188 Posts
From what the contractor told me the utilities hire these folks to test and treat the poles. Those screw capped holes allow for the inspection and treatment.
Remedial Preservative Treatments

The depletion of the pole’s initial preservative treatment (typically pentachlorophenol, creosote, or CCA) happens over time and may be a result of aging, weathering, migration, or volatility of the chemical elements.
Osmose remedial preservative treatments help maintain the durability of your system by preventing strength loss caused by wood-destroying fungi and insects. Combined with the remaining original preservative, remedial treatments can provide an effective defense against a wide variety of wood-destroying organisms, thus extending the useful service life many years beyond what is typically expected. (See Survivor Curve, Deterioration Zone 3 as referenced by the American Wood Protection Association (AWPA) U1-12)
Remedial preservatives allow poles to retain their original, code-mandated strength as they age.
More if you're interested: Osmose Utilities Services Wood Pole Inspection & Life Extension
MikeC

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
How about an update? I found a near neighbor who has a dump truck and is for hire. So, I took this quick photo of my current tarp covered trailer in the location of the future shelter:

Moved trailer and tarp and structure (such as it is) out of the weigh in the sunshine yesterday. And, this morning 5 ton of #5 stone took a ride across the lawn while it was still nice and Winter firm:

I set up my goPro for some video of the dump, spread, and rebuild. Stay tuned. It's still sunny, so the video edit will be operating unattended for a while.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,144 Posts
How about an update? I found a near neighbor who has a dump truck and is for hire. So, I took this quick photo of my current tarp covered trailer in the location of the future shelter:
Moved trailer and tarp and structure (such as it is) out of the weigh in the sunshine yesterday. And, this morning 5 ton of #5 stone took a ride across the lawn while it was still nice and Winter firm:
I set up my goPro for some video of the dump, spread, and rebuild. Stay tuned. It's still sunny, so the video edit will be operating unattended for a while.
Surprised that your lawn is still stiff enough for something like that.
My son had the Kubota out on Saturday and even though the temps were barely above freezing, he was leaving shallow ruts in the lawn where the sun had been hitting and softening up the ground.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Supposed to rain tonight, and most of the day tomorrow. So, you'll note I was working at 10x speed to get this all finished this morning:

And, now the trailer is back under the rain-fly tarp. I had been concerned about heavy snow pulling this structure over. Guess this is the Winter of no snow. Finally got to use the blade a little.

Not sure when I'll get back to this project. Hope no one is holding their breath

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
Hey Jere, am I seeing things? It looks like you're covering the trailer, but leaving the lumber exposed?

Mike

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,144 Posts
Don't worry, can only hold my breath for about 30 seconds so I know it won't go any further til then.:eek:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hey Jere, am I seeing things? It looks like you're covering the trailer, but leaving the lumber exposed?

Mike
Well, that lumber is the remnants of the deck I removed. It sat exposed on the deck for about 28 years, so I didn't want to shock its system and cover it now till I come up with a next use. And, that pile is the back side of the railroad tie and pine log backstop for my shooting range, built into the small hillside there. I'll have to get a side view and front view of that "structure".

·
Administrator
17,188 Posts
How about an update? I found a near neighbor who has a dump truck and is for hire.
And, this morning 5 ton of #5 stone took a ride across the lawn while it was still nice and Winter firm:

View attachment 2447704

Jere, you're lucky. Around here none of the delivery folks are following a policy of "not leaving the pavement." They will back down a drive but that's it, even for something like couple yards in a mason dump. Guess they've had too many claims on lawn and septic damage, as well as having to have their trucks pulled out as drivers got stuck. Although at my place on the hill, that would be the least of their worries. So my BX25 is always getting a workout moving product. In fact got 6/7 yards of Item #4 coming in soon.
MikeC

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,144 Posts
So my BX25 is always getting a workout moving product. In fact got 6/7 yards of Item #4 coming in soon.
MikeC
OK, Mike. You threw it out there and I'm gonna bite......what's the project you starting and there better be pictures!

·
Administrator
17,188 Posts
Got no project. o_O Just bored so ordered a load of stone to play with.;)

Now about that bridge I have for sale...

Actually on the far end of the shed (which is somewhat level) I used for parking the wood truck that I had, is a bit of a PIA when getting in and out, especially with the gate just ahead of it. Since that part is all dirt (mud now when it thaws) gonna pull back some of the dirt and put the item in there. Just piddling away the hrs trying to keep busy till the weather stabilizes a bit so can get a couple days in a row on a project.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
Well, that lumber is the remnants of the deck I removed. It sat exposed on the deck for about 28 years, so I didn't want to shock its system and cover it now till I come up with a next use. And, that pile is the back side of the railroad tie and pine log backstop for my shooting range, built into the small hillside there. I'll have to get a side view and front view of that "structure".
Gotcha. Although, I must say you might be the first person I've seen put an open utility trailer under cover.

Mike

41 - 56 of 56 Posts