My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a funny story about Union Farm...

We used to have this old tractor. Everyone thought it was an 9N, but it wasn't. It was a Ford 900 Series though it was practicaly identical to a 9N. Anyway, one day while I was in high school the front spindle bearings wore out and I had to replace them. I was in Diesel Tech class at the time so I was right full of knowledge and the confidence to change this bearing out.

Well I traveled down to Union Farm Equipment and told the owner that I needed a bearing for a 1958 Ford 900 wide front end tractor. He proceeds to tell me that Ford never made a wide front end 900 series tractor. I insist there is and thus this friendly discussion took place. (Now I mean that, it was truly friendly, but neither one of would give in).

Well the owner gets out the microfiche and scans for parts. To make a long story short, I was somewhat right. Ford indeed made a wide front end, but the Ford 900 Series was an experimental tractor. In 1958 they made 2500 narrow front end tractors and only 1500 wide front end tractors.

In the end we both learned something about this tractor series and how unique they were. Thankfully most parts were interchangable with the 9N and life was good (for awhile anyway)

Again this company is great and we are proud to be long-time customers with them for 3 generations.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Great story drawbar , goes right along with their motto "The Friendly Folks", and we are pleased to have them sponser here :fing32:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, everytime I went to Union Farm Equipment, or called them on the phone I would say "I got a Ford 900..." and then the person I was talking to would cut me off and say..."Oh yeah, you're the kid with the 900 with a wide front end!"

Yep, that was me.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure is. At the time the Ford Dealer in Corinna Maine was a much shorter drive, but as I said, Union Farm Equipment has treated us so well that I would not go anywhere else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts