My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were in the market for a new lawn tractor- what brand would you choose? I was thinking of a Bolens ( no comparrison to the old Tube frame) Model X79GH with 20 hp Kohler.

Bolens: 1
MTD:
Cub Cadet:
Ford:
Toro:
Honda:
etc...........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well that depends on what i was going to use it for how big my yard is, Am i going to be pulling things with it. and start there and start doing research from there. Some guys are committed to one brand, You know like i only buy john deere. Me I do research and go from there> thats just me.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Simplicity Legacy XL, w/Briggs Diesel, Quick Attach Loader. These are the ultimate Sub Compact in my eyes. It comes with a Cat 1 3pt, rear PTO, 4x4, and option of 3 engines. It also has an option for a backhoe... AND... it is literally the same overall size as my HT23. I think this is the last Super Garden tractor made in the U.S.? someone correct me if I am wrong.

My other option would be a Ingersoll.. I believe they are still made in the United States as well.

Nick

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of something large enough to operate a snowblower, dozer blade, pull a trailer and a mower deck, I realize that this model is to light duty for ground engaging equipment.
Anyone out there own the newer Bolens lawn tractor?
rust

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I wouldn't be shopping at Home Depot. I've sunk money into the homeowner models and been disappointed. I'd rather have a few horsepower less, but the 3-pt and pto would make it way more useful a machine even with a power deficit.

Compact diesel, 4wd, pto and 3pt. Preferably American made if I can have it; Cub Cadet has a model with a Caterpillar engine, but I need to keep it under $5000 because I'm not Scrooge McDuck. Where's that leave me? Probably in the used tractor yard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
JD 2000 - but I'm sure the price would floor me. This is going to be a CUT class rather than a GT, but would be a nice unit.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I priced a Simplicity Legacy XL the other day. Tractor with the Diesel was 11,500, add 1800.00 for the 60" deck, and 3500.00 for the loader!!!! ouch... but it's american and pretty kick ***... wish I could afford one. Until then my Bolens HT23 will do.. besides it should be like a new one once my restoration is complete.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I was thinking of something large enough to operate a snowblower, dozer blade, pull a trailer and a mower deck, I realize that this model is to light duty for ground engaging equipment.
Anyone out there own the newer Bolens lawn tractor?
rust
Nope .. and would not buy one either .. Mr. Bolens is rolling over in his grave .. because of what they are putting the "Bolens" name on these days.:thSick:

:D :D Actually .. I don't think there even was a Mr. Bolens :sorry1:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It amazes me..... they will slap a sticker on anything to sell it. I hate it that the great names of the past are now nothing but marketing ploys.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nope .. and would not buy one either .. Mr. Bolens is rolling over in his grave .. because of what they are putting the "Bolens" name on these days.:thSick:

:D :D Actually .. I don't think there even was a Mr. Bolens :sorry1:
Harry Wilber Bolens (1864-1944). Some history here and here.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts