My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that I have the tractor the way I want it for the most part, I think I'm going to move onto the cab. I still have the snowcaster and the plow to do as well but the cab seems like more fun.

Here's what I have to start with. It needs a few holes filled where the PO drilled to install and mount some lights and a couple dents pounded out, but overall it's in decent shape. I have the clip in rear soft window and even the fabric on the front of it is in pretty good shape.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
What are you going to do with the wood doors? slkpk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got some more work done on my cab today. The doors along with all the lights , for the most part, had to be cut off. All of the bolts and fasteners were rusted on pretty tight.

I've got most of the really rough spots sanded down and I'm in the process of welding up the 20+ holes drilled by previous owners for wiring and such. I have a switch plate that I made out of steel for the lights I plan to add to the cab. I'm looking for some sort of auxiliary fuse box. If anybody has ever used one and knows where I can find one for a reasonable price that would be great.

I'm thinking two low profile rectangle fog lights mounted on the roof. I also ordered these marker/strobe lights for the front and rear of the cab.

Few pics of my progress.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Keep up the good work. slkpk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd love to fab one of these up out of aluminum. Any chance anyone has some good pics of these things installed on the tractors?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just... wow! Wish I could come over an play for a while. :lol:
Come on over. I'll put you to work. :trink39:

I'd love to fab one of these up out of aluminum. Any chance anyone has some good pics of these things installed on the tractors?

There are a few pics on the yahoo group. It's a pain to search through pics over there though because the majority of them aren't tagged and there is no way to search.

where did you order the lights and box?
I need to know for mine

keep the pics and detailed information coming
Here's where I got the lights. For less than $15 even if they're total **** I'm not out much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ambe...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c12b353dd

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went and had some steel cut today to start on my doors. Most of the door is made out of 1x1x1/8th square steel tubing. The price of the steel including the cutting fee for the various lengths I wanted was under $55.

Basic shape of the door.

Both doors laid on the garage floor.

Here I have the basic frame of the door welded up including the hinges that are welded to the cab itself. Pulling 3 pins in the hinges removes the door from the cab.

Shot of it swinging open.

Better angle here. The top half of the door is either going to be plexi or tempered glass. i haven't decided or looked into the cost of it yet.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Why not make the entire door with the plexi or tempered glass for better visibility. slkpk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm thinking two low profile rectangle fog lights mounted on the roof. I also ordered these marker/strobe lights for the front and rear of the cab.
Using that style of lights, I would seriously consider adding at least one or two on each side of the cab also, to insure visablity from the sides when you're near the street. :fing32:
A guy up the road from me only had one revolving amber light on his Ford. He was out on the road & got hit broadside so hard that it literally broke the tractor in half. :swow: The more light you have, the better!

Keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not make the entire door with the plexi or tempered glass for better visibility. slkpk
I think it will look better half glass, half steel.

Using that style of lights, I would seriously consider adding at least one or two on each side of the cab also, to insure visablity from the sides when you're near the street.
A guy up the road from me only had one revolving amber light on his Ford. He was out on the road & got hit broadside so hard that it literally broke the tractor in half. The more light you have, the better!
I live on a dead end road that sees maybe 3 cars a day in good weather. I have a larger strobe for the roof as well so I should be all set.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think it will look better half glass, half steel./QUOTE]

I used mine for the first time this year. If you can make the doors all clear. It really helps when you get close to something for visibility. You will be amazed at what you can NOT see when in the cab.
Terry

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think it will look better half glass, half steel.

See, that is what I like about this forum; even with such an intense and demanding task, he's a "glass half full" kind of guy!

Sears and Toro Tractor owners are not like that at all... :drunkie:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See, that is what I like about this forum; even with such an intense and demanding task, he's a "glass half full" kind of guy!

Sears and Toro Tractor owners are not like that at all... :drunkie:
Haha it has been a big task. I've been working on it for the past 3 days straight. Today I put the cab on to give the doors a final fitting before I weld everything up solid tomorrow.

Just for the record I am a "glass is half full" type of person. :trink40:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Haha it has been a big task. I've been working on it for the past 3 days straight. Today I put the cab on to give the doors a final fitting before I weld everything up solid tomorrow.

Just for the record I am a "glass is half full" type of person. :trink40:
If your beer mug is half full, you are not drinking fast enough...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More updates.

Here is a pic of the switch plate that I made. Excuse the ugly marks from my grinder.

Here's a more recent picture of my doors. They're about 75% done here. I have the sheet metal for them i just haven't cut it and welded it on yet.

Here's what I'm going to be using for door latches. It hasn't been welded on yet in this pic.

All primered up.

After 3 coats of power red. :fing32:

1 - 20 of 150 Posts