My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 917.270820 42” 19.5HP Craftsman lawn tractor. A couple of days ago I noticed (overnight) a moderately strong gasoline smell in my house. I did a lot of investigating and finally discovered a wet spot along the horizontal seam in the fuel tank of my lawn tractor. Apparently, the fuel was seeping out of this seam, evaporating, and ending up being smellable in the house. I see on the Sears parts site that a new tank is about $60.00. Is there any other reliable source of compatible (new) parts for this machine that is significantly less expensive? It looks like a fair amount of work to replace the tank so I don’t think I would install a used tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, but I had the same issue. I even tried to diligently repair the seam with layers and layers of LocTite, but it didn't work...

I was lucky enough to find a fellow forum member that had one and sold one to me at a great price.

If it works well despite the leaky tank, I'd ask around the forum, peruse craigslist, ebay, or just get a new one from Sears.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Auto parts stores sell a gas tank sealer that works really well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a model 917.270820 42” 19.5HP Craftsman lawn tractor. A couple of days ago I noticed (overnight) a moderately strong gasoline smell in my house. I did a lot of investigating and finally discovered a wet spot along the horizontal seam in the fuel tank of my lawn tractor. Apparently, the fuel was seeping out of this seam, evaporating, and ending up being smellable in the house. I see on the Sears parts site that a new tank is about $60.00. Is there any other reliable source of compatible (new) parts for this machine that is significantly less expensive? It looks like a fair amount of work to replace the tank so I don’t think I would install a used tank.
Wow, you keep your mower in your house? I like my mower too but it has to stay out in the shed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. The mower is kept in my attached garage as I don't have any other (covered) place to store it.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
J-B weld works great on metal tanks,auto parts stores sell plastic gas tank repair kits too.....nothing beats a new one though,especially if its not an easy one to remove and replace..

I would advise storing the tractor outside in a shed too,I have an attached garage and tried storing my tractor and snowblower in it--too many times the carbs would leak after sitting ,and even after I installed a gas shut off valve (and if I remembered to USE it!) ,I'd still get some gas in the fuel line that would leak out, and stink up the whole house--not to mention the fire hazard,with the oil furnace in the room right next to the garage..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying a new one from a seller on Ebay for about $46 delivered. The seller has all positive feedback so I hope everything works out OK. Thanks again to all who responded.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Kinda thinking my 1998 944.608450 EZ3 will be leaking some day too. I discovered they aren't even mounted solidly, the tank just sits in place and slides around. I thought something was broke, but even the manual shows they just sit on pads.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had the same problem. Got a tank from Outdoordistributors.com for around $34 if I recall correctly.

BUT - a year later I upgraded to a 2 gallon tank. I found one that fit nicely. I can get you the part # if you're interested.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Found this for anyone interested: www.outdoordistributors.com:

I think this is the OEM raplacement, not the 2-gallon (there were no pictrures of the 2 gallon on the website, I'd have to check around to see which one I got)

AYP-184900
Includes fuel tank and fuel cap (does not include fuel line)
Replaces the following part numbers:
AYP-109202X AYP-105738X AYP-532109202 AYP-532-109202 AYP-532184900
$23.88

1 - 13 of 13 Posts