My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reasons known only to me, I want to take apart an 800/8000 fuel tank along the middle seam.

Does anyone know is that a brazed joint? I've been assuming that and will attack with the OA torch and compressed air to see if I can blow it out. Only other way I could imagine that joint being made is some kind of press/friction weld but that doesn't seem likely.

BTW, the valve insert had solder between it and the tank bottom to seal it. Is that normal or a fix after the tank previously had a hole brazed in it?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Scrape the paint down on a seam, the color of the metal in the seam should answer your question.

Roger,

P.S. I think the halves were soldered together. Silver solder or lead, well consider the age?

Brazing requires heat that can melt most sheet metals.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
All fuel tank used to be soft soldered then semi automatic welding was used.

Be very careful when soldering with a flame. Make absolutely sure that the all gasoline fumes are gone. It takes a lot of water and detergent and shaking to get rid of it all.

Gasoline liquid does not burn, the fumes do.

You can use any solder that you want. 50-50 or 60-40. Just make sure that the steel is absolutely clean. The slightest amount of corrosion and the solder won't stick. Soldering acid helps to clean the steel. I would use some muratic acid as a prep.

Richard - who has patched many a tank by soldering a penny over the hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts