My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i've reserched a small amount on this subject but come up with no good response. are carbs on garden tractors designed to allow opperation on vareinng grades as opposed to other more stationary type engines? in my quest to reurect my tractor i've come acrost alot of different factors that may or may not be issues. i use a fram fuel filter with, i thought succes but found my fuel pump was leaking fuel into crank, but would pump, also the flange was broke and leaking oil. removed and capped, tank above engine, replaced fuel line and now no fuel will flow through filter. removed filter and open valve, good flow, reconnect and no flowthrough. i can blow through filter and remaining line, disconnected from carb, but no flow. the reason i ask initial question is because i have a kholer kt17 sII and before all this it seemed to have issues with going up hill, engine rear faceing (shroud inlet facing driver), it never died just seemed to struggle. now this could be for a dozen reasons but i've seen other questions along the same lines and was just wondering. engine is a repower on jake gt10, don't know were it came from or what its prior use was, don't think it was a gen but don't know for sure. thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What model engine are you having issues with here ??
If it is a gravity fed engine, use the smaller button type filter and also install a shutoff valve.

If it has a fuel pump, use the lawn and garden see-through fuel filter.

I've had issues with later model Kohler's, in that the Kohler white capsule fuel filter had to be used, none other would work, (don't ask me why)
hth

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
when it does not flow is the tank vented ok? apparently briggs uses different needle and seat for pumps and a smaller micron filter for pumps (located before the pump)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the tank is vented and there is a shut off valve, when removing the filter the cap stays on the tank, open valve and have good flow. the filter seems too fine, possibly??
or i didn't put a new filter in, just reused the old one. but with the newer gas does gas gel or varnish faster when exposed to air? and still the original question, is there a difference in the carbs of tractor vs. more stationary. i seem to think not but i've been wrong before just ask my wife.

·
Registered
86 Posts
stationary ??
are you talkin like a generator or a chipper/shredder or a water pump??
Carbs should be the same, maybe different throttle arrangement,

·
Micro Farmer
38 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm missing something or more likely, dense. It seems that if you have fuel flow before the filter and not after, you have a stopped up filter, No?

Small engine carbs are vacuum aspirated. If you have good compression, and good seals on your carb gaskets, you should get fuel streaming from the jet when the engine turns. If not, something is plugging the fuel from the carb bowl.

If your engine has a fuel pump, it will run at almost any angle because the pump keeps the carb bowl full and compression keeps the fuel aspirated into the manifold. If not, once you reach a point where the carb bowl stops filling from gravity, your engine stops.

Sometimes the float is set too shallow and doesn't fill the bowl completely, then the engine runs ok on flat but erratic on slopes or with wide open throttle may spit and sputter (that's technical jargon that shade tree mechanics will understand).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Making the fuel filter agree with the delivery scheme as Glen M stated should cure the immediate problem. Be aware that in some instances fuel pumps made additional float pressure necessary to maintain the proper fuel level. This was easily/cheaply done with either torsional springs at the pivot pin, or larger compression springs below the pontoon/ring. Just something to keep in mind when transplanting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check your needle/seat - I have a Kohler K341 that would bog down on turns and hills. Turned out my needle wasn't completely in line (straight up and down), and the seat/float couldn't push the needle off to inhibit gas flow.

Flooded out while it was running.

Seat wasn't pushing the needle off enough to close off gas flow. Took a needle nose plairs and moved the seat up so it would close off the needle a bit better, and no problems since.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello again,
sorry for the absence. spent the last two days working on the grage furnace and trying to figure out the filter/pump/gravity feed/sediment bowl thoughts, and possibly a newly arriving baby boy, due tommorrow. by stationary i do mean an engine that would be less likley to have to operate out of level ie gen, welder, wood splitter, you get the idea. i do agree that the problem was the fuel filter. hence the lack of flow out, that was obvious. but is it because it was a fram filter most likely designed to be used with a pump and not in a gravity feed system? but more to the original question i didn't know for sure what the engine i have was ment for ie a generator. so the question i thought might shed light on past behavior when out of level conditions existed for short time spans. i've since bought an arnold universal filter and tried the gravity flow and it seems to work, haven't run the tractor yet, got too late and its pritty loud. but before i hooked it all back up i blew into the carb and it wasn't plugged. so flow should happen. as to the carb float, that part of the carb has been rebuilt within maybe two months, new needle and seat, float reset, and seals and gaskets. now i know that doesn't mean it isn't wrong but i'm doubting it. i have since discovered that this engine was intended or was put in ariens tractors, i think, according to the knoler site. ah **** its late and the two year old is crying. later

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello again,
well ran the tractor for about ten to twenty minutes and it ran perfectly at all speeds and at the lowest idle. cut to this afternoon maybe evening, ran perfectly with choke almost all the way out, engine choked. this has happened before, run good once and needs to be choked the next. any ideas why. thanks for thoughts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts