My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make sure I'm not over looking something.

I'm still having problems with the tractor dying for no apparent reason.

I replaced all the fuel lines, fuel filter, rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned out the fuel tank, and the tractor runs great, until it decides to quit running, it's like someone just shut it off, it just quits, let it sit for a couple of hours, and it will fire right back up and run perfect, for maybe a few minutes, an hour, a week, a couple of months, then it will die again, but once you let it sit for a couple of hours, it always fires right back up, so the problem is intermittent.

here's what I'm doing to pin point the problem.

I started suspecting the Fuel Solenoid, so when it is running, I can turn the ignition key off and on, and I can hear the "click" of the Solenoid, when it dies, I'll turn the key off and on, and i don't hear the click of the solenoid, I'll check the voltage of the wire going to the solenoid and with the ignition switch on, it reads a little over 13 volts, yet there's no clicking of the solenoid, I checked to make sure the fuel pump is working so I disconnected the fuel line at the carb, and cranked the engine and it spurts out fuel just fine.

I pulled the spark plugs to see what they looked like and they are bone dry, no fuel on them at all. I also checked spark, and I have plenty of that.

I pulled out the fuel solenoid and checked it with a 12 volt battery and it seems to be working fine once it's out of the tractor, I sat there applying power to it off and on for over 30 minutes and ever did get it to fail.

I traced the power back to the ignition switch and everything seems fine there, so I'm a little stumped, I was going to replace the solenoid but at a cost of 65 bucks, I'd rather make sure that the one I have is in fact bad before I go spend money on replacing a solenoid that may not be bad.

so now I'm down to this question.

is it possible that through age and time, that I may not be getting a good ground to the solenoid through the carburetor?

this is what I'm doing at this point, I pulled off the carb, cleaned everything up real good, ordered new mounting gaskets, and am going to put it back together once the gaskets get here, the only possibility I can think of at this point is possibly a bad ground through the carb.

I figured I'd post here and see what your thoughts are, has anyone one run into this problem?

the engine is a 16 horse Vanguard, that's what came with the tractor when I bought it new back in 1997.

here's a couple of pictures to ponder, the first picture is the carb mounting area, it's kind of dirty, but I'll clean it up, the second picture is the fuel solenoid, the thing looks pretty clean and has worked out of the tractor with out a flaw.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Unplug the wire to the solenoid at the connector, use a 9 volt battery to test it. The wire to the positive side of battery, and ground the negetive side of battery to the solenoid case.

I've had those stupid solenoids work intermitently. Test it more than once.

Walter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to try that next, but with a temporary jumper using 12 volts straight from the battery.

I was under the impression that if the solenoid was faulty, it would either work or it wouldn't, and not be an intermittent problem, that's why I got to thinking it might be a bad ground coming off the Carb.

This has been an on going problem with this tractor for the last year or so, I figured it was time to find the problem and fix it, I hate having a half cut yard, and a dead tractor
Unplug the wire to the solenoid at the connector, use a 9 volt battery to test it. The wire to the positive side of battery, and ground the negetive side of battery to the solenoid case.

I've had those stupid solenoids work intermitently. Test it more than once.

Walter

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,094 Posts
Pull the darned thing off, depress the plunger and wedge a tooth pick beside it to hold it, break off excess tooth pick, re-install and try. IF the engine runs OK now, solenoid is bad. I generally replace them with a plug which is std. equipment on some of them anyway.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now that's a good idea, thanks for the tip
Pull the darned thing off, depress the plunger and wedge a tooth pick beside it to hold it, break off excess tooth pick, re-install and try. IF the engine runs OK now, solenoid is bad. I generally replace them with a plug which is std. equipment on some of them anyway.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the plug for it tonight, along with a few other parts, so I should have it running by this weekend, if the parts get here in time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts