My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyine has had voltage on the outside casing of the solenoid and the carb bowl. I have one doing this, it is still working but have been blowing main fuse, getting an all over the place reading on multimeter when touching negative to chassis and pozi to the side of solenoid.

·
4,267 Posts
First I would see if you have voltage on the carb body itself..use whatever you used to determine that you have voltage at teh bowl ( test light ...or multimeter?..if multimeter...how many volts?.if not I would disconnect the solenoid....hold the bowl in place and see if the same condition exists...if not then replace that wire to the solenoid....if it does check other parts of the chassis too....if you are getting voltage from the bowl....the bowl must be grounded.....although separated by an O ring, it is still possible (likely) that metal from the bowl is in contact with the carb body so something from the postive side must be in contact with the chassis somewhere....you may have to replace the solenoid itself if ther eis a source of current leak where it joins the wire

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,819 Posts
Some fuel shut solenoids are single wire hookup and ground through the casing. Sounds like the coil has found a shorter path to ground, closer to the high positive side. That means less resistance and more current flow (high amperage) blowing the fuse. More or less the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
If you have a two-wire solenoid, check resistance from each wire to the outer housing of the solenoid. I think it should be a very high reading as the winding should be insulated from the housing. If you have a one-wire, the housing should be at ground potential when installed, and the wire at battery when the key is ON.
tom

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
Some one wire solenoids (that ground through the body) will be combined with a ground lead that fastens from the carb to the engine tins with a ring terminal.
This allows power to flow into the solenoid via the supply wire, and out through the ground wire, thus charging the solenoid.
If you didn't have this ground wire, and the carb were isolated from ground (by a gasket or plastic intake manifold), you might read voltage coming off the carb with a meter.
But you'd also notice the solenoid would probably not operate

·
Registered
444 Posts
Could it be isolated?...even with gaskets.....wouldn't the bolts holding it on ground it?
I know the Briggs single cylinder ohv engines have a plastic manifold so the carb isn't grounded that way. And plastic throttle/choke shafts so it wouldn't be grounded through the governor linkage either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,514 Posts
The Kohler CV22S in my large mower uses a single-wire solenoid, and it has a separate wire from the carb to the engine block to ensure a good ground path. I think at least some of the engine manufacturers have found that just relying on the bolts holding the carb to the manifold/block to provide ground isn't good/reliable enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts