My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to prep and paint a 5000 series gas tank, but have reservations about any of the black rattle cans that I have on hand actually holding up to fuel spillage.

Has anyone found a fuel resistant rattle can paint?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Followup question:

Has anyone used Plasticoat for this application? If so, how is it holding up?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not a rattle can, but the rustoleum in the big cans, cut with acetone 50% and some japan dryer has been holding up pretty good for me.

Krylon melts, Duplicolor holds up well but it's $$$

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plastikote apparently makes an engine enamel that supposed to be both fuel and heat resistant to 500 degrees.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Ive been thinking about this for a year now and what I plan to do is drape a piece of leather down my tank and cut a hole out for the lid, kinda like on some gas tanks on a Harley.
Or try that Duplicolor, if its gonna save my tank on a tractor Ive spent 3 yrs. on and $1,200 to $1,500 on I dont care what it cost.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No other comments?

My thought at this moment is to try Rustoleum ' s High Heat engine enamel and primer. Supposed to be fuel resistant. I could then try it on a few mufflers also, as it is rated to 2000 degrees.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
No other comments?

My thought at this moment is to try Rustoleum ' s High Heat engine enamel and primer. Supposed to be fuel resistant. I could then try it on a few mufflers also, as it is rated to 2000 degrees.

Ive got a bunch of that stuff in rattle cans from the auto parts store, the Hi-Temp Engine paint. I think thats what I used on the head of my 6.6, and if its good to 2000 degrees it should be good for anything on a Gravely thats for sure.
If it hit 2000 deg it would be just a quivering mass of metal on the ground would'nt it? lol!
I also bought a cpl cans of "Tractor Paint" at TSC, dont know exactly what Tractor paint does so special but I have a cpl cans of it.
Oh yea, I also got a cpl cans of Hi-Temp paint for like Buck Stoves/wood burners. Now those do get real hot.
Sometimes red hot!

·
Registered
527 Posts
No other comments?

Try Eastwood. They make some pretty good stuff in spray cans. They have a 2K product which you push in a button on the bottom, mix the paint then spray. It’s all in the can ready to go. Limited colors, but I believe it has hardener in it which is as close as you can get to “real” paint without all the hassle of mixing and using a spray gun.

As a side note I love their Fast Etch for acid cleaning parts and the Pre Painting Prep to clean the surface before painting.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Try Eastwood. They make some pretty good stuff in spray cans. They have a 2K product which you push in a button on the bottom, mix the paint then spray. It’s all in the can ready to go. Limited colors, but I believe it has hardener in it which is as close as you can get to “real” paint without all the hassle of mixing and using a spray gun.

As a side note I love their Fast Etch for acid cleaning parts and the Pre Painting Prep to clean the surface before painting.

Now that really sounds like something, wish I'd heard about about a year ago tho.
That Eastwood has some real good stuff, its quite a company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts