My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this under general information but probably should have come to the John Deere forum.
After mowing the lawn for about 3/4 hour the fuel pump shuts down. The pump won't operate until about an hour after it quits. Using a volt meter, I am only getting 6.5 volts at the terminal where the fuel pump and fuel sensor plug in.
Could the problem be with the fuel pump shut off connector?
Please advise,

Thank you

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be a bad delay module. They are known to act that way when going bad. There are a couple other possibilities but that is one of the cheaper ones to try.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,350 Posts
Follow the wire harness (make a note of the wire color you tested the 6.5VDC @ and trace it out. It may be as simple as a dirty or loose main harness plug connection (@ the left frame rail about where your left foot sits.). Big plug with a bunch of wires. Find the color wire and test the VDC on the other side of the connection.. If it's the same, trace it onward. Ignition Delay module is the first stop.. Make a note if the wire color changes @ the plug.. There are lots of things hooked up to the positive side of the circuit @ this point.. PTO switch, Fuel shut off solenoid and even the PTO switch. any of these could be causing your problem.. There is a troubleshooting procedure in the Service manual in the Electrical section.. You are mostly following the Pink/Black wire # 655 to test through the circuit..

Here's the S/M: CLICK HERE

:goodl:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you WNY for your response. As you instructed I checked voltages at the main harness plug connection and I am getting 12 volts at the #655 pink/black wire. However, there is a pink/white wire that is only delivering 5 .35 volts. I can't find this colour of wire in the schematics you so kindly provided. The number of the wire terminal is 300 which on the schematic shows up as orange/white. Also, do you know the position of the ignition delay module on the tractor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DB. The problem may well lie with ignition delay module and I will be tracing back to it with the volt meter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see a fuel pump relay on the 425 schematics. If your familiar with the 425 tractor please advise the location of the relay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ignition delay module has checked out ok on the volt meter. On further checks I have discovered that the coolant temperature sensor also has less than 6 volts going to it with the ignition switch on and the tractor not running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts