My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model 917.203900 25hp Briggs intek v twin. stumped, mower worked fine 2 wk ago now fuel delivery not working. Fuel pump good squirts output side when cranking. Fuel Solenoid good pulls in when turned to start, took carb out and cleaned jets etc, nothing was stopped up altho very gummy in the bowl. Gas is a few days old as a mow weekly in the summer. Starts the immediatly stalls on starter fluid, can keep spraying to keep running. Just fyi spark plug tester indicates spark. Trying to cover all bases. Venturing hose hooked up and pretty new. Replaced earlier this summer. Tried with gas cap off. Bowl fills with fuel. I do have a 18mb video no starter fluid but it will not let me attach file.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Model 917.203900 25hp Briggs intek v twin. stumped, mower worked fine 2 wk ago now fuel delivery not working. Fuel pump good squirts output side when cranking. Fuel Solenoid good pulls in when turned to start, took carb out and cleaned jets etc, nothing was stopped up altho very gummy in the bowl. Gas is a few days old as a mow weekly in the summer. Starts the immediatly stalls on starter fluid, can keep spraying to keep running. Just fyi spark plug tester indicates spark. Trying to cover all bases. Venturing hose hooked up and pretty new. Replaced earlier this summer. Tried with gas cap off. Bowl fills with fuel. I do have a 18mb video no starter fluid but it will not let me attach file.
Sounds like if the carburetor had some varnish in it that it's time for a new carb. You can pick one up on amazon for about $40, maybe less. Just make sure you get the right one.

·
6,990 Posts
To attach a video, you have to post it on Youtube , then post the link to it here...if it is starting on fluid you have spark...no need to check with a tester....although it is always handy to have the tester......I agree with AYP123 about the crud in the carb...but I think you can rescue it..did you try changing the lines from the fuel pump to the carb..sounds like you may have gotten water into the tank...something is not right if you have gummy stuff in the bowl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ayp I took the carb all the way apart and cleaned it out, made sure it blew good threw jets, etc. This one was only 3 months old. Got it off amazon, original nikki carb letting fuel into crank case.

Mark I took the hose off at the carb from the fuel pump, it seems to be flowing good. mower stays outside with tarp over it, I wouldnt think after cleaning out gunk it would enough water in tank to prevent fire

Attachments

·
6,990 Posts
If the carb was letting fuel pass it has a bad needle valve and or seat did you use anything other than spray and air to clear the passages?..you need this to really gt it clean

·
Registered
253 Posts
No I did not use anything but spray. I sprayed in inlet tube and it blew out where needle would sit and vice versa. Needle was not gunked up like bowl was.
It may just be that it got somewhere and does not want to flow out the port like it's supposed to. I've dealt with a lot of carbs that just have to go sometimes. You may just have to replace it if it's being stubborn. Just had to put a $116 carburetor on my 2003 Craftsman DLT3000 with a Honda because the aftermarket ones don't work.

·
Money Pit
618 Posts
Holy smokes! 3 month old carb looks like that? I hate to say this but I think you need to do some serious work on the fuel system. It's time to pull out and clean the fuel tank, replace all the fuel lines, filter, and buy another carb. If you don't your going to keep fighting this problem. On a big note I highly recommend switching over to non ethanol gas.

·
Registered
253 Posts
No I did not use anything but spray. I sprayed in inlet tube and it blew out where needle would sit and vice versa. Needle was not gunked up like bowl was.
I looked at the pictures of the carb and it seems like that may be irrecoverable with one exception. If you really want to proceed to fight the carb for success, you'll need two things. First, MARK (LI) put a image of the carb cleaning brushes you need to clean your carb. You'll need something of the sort, but you'll also need the ones with no bristles also, just the rods to clean the small ports. You'll also need this chemical I attached. If you don't know this stuff, it's essentially what you use if you really want a clean carburetor. The carb spray products they have these days are ok, but this is the real deal. It destroys rubbers and may damage plastics, so you'll have to remove both and clean those separately if necessary. Really this stuff is designed to clean the ports of the carb by virtue of starting in the gas tank and going through the fuel system and into the carb. It's very powerful, but it'll clean every part of that carburetor if done properly. The thing here is that you may want the brushes/rods to clean the residual stuff from the carb. It basically just has to sit in it for some amount of hours, maybe a day or two, but it'll get the job done. Other than that you may be able to just get away with carb cleaner and the cleaning rods, but it depends on what you want to do here. Obviously somethings clogged or hooked up wrong, or a gasket issue is causing the problem. Who knows, you'll have to search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luke, float pin is still there and workingnproperly. AYP $30 amazon carb is definatly not Nikki quality. I guy a work with said he had the same problem I am and just snipped the fuel solenoid end, told me his was pulling in also. So I may try this as I have a junk one-I have inline shutoff also. I will let yall know what happens. Going to buy another cheapo carb to see if it will get it running if that does not.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Luke, float pin is still there and workingnproperly. AYP $30 amazon carb is definatly not Nikki quality. I guy a work with said he had the same problem I am and just snipped the fuel solenoid end, told me his was pulling in also. So I may try this as I have a junk one-I have inline shutoff also. I will let yall know what happens. Going to buy another cheapo carb to see if it will get it running if that does not.
All three of my tractors currently use Chinese carbs. The two I haven't been able to use are the ones for the Intek single cylinder engines and the ones for my Honda GXV530. The ones that came on the Inteks were practically trash from the factory with their plastic Nikki internals. The Honda on the other hand is a relatively unpopular engine, so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't take interest in making a decent carb for it. The only real issue with it was that it surged. Other than that, I've never had an issue with chinese carbs. I rebuilt my Kohler Command single earlier this year and put a chinese carb on that and it was fine. My Kohler Courage V-Twin I have on my GS6500 runs like an absolute top with it's $30 carb. I think a lot of them have been problematic, but to be honest they're not as bad as people say they are. Just don't leave old gas in them and they'll be fine. People also try and repair engines with new carbs that have intake issues and are sucking air from a lack of sealing. They then blame the carb for surging. I think they're good and you'll be alright so long as your Briggs doesn't have the plastic intake. That can bend in the middle from over-torque and cause an air leak that can only be fixed by replacing it with a new $60 one or maybe you'll get lucky with a good used one, but that's pretty rare. At the end of the day, the last thing I'm going to do is go running to Briggs and drop $100 plus on a carburetor I could get from Amazon that would be basically the same. Even if it craps out, it's only $30 bucks so who cares. That leaves room for future problems at least. The only reason I went to Honda for mine was because nobody makes a good aftermarket one for mine that I've found works. Gets too much fuel to one cylinder and gives me a **** of a time trying to start. All the other engines I've put carbs on have never had an issue besides the Intek single which is a trash engine anyways. Some people like them, they're ok if you're willing to do the work and can fix the problems that pop up here and there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it was not solenoid-clipped plunger, dropped $22 on new carb. I'll get back to yall when it gets here.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
One of the Nikki ABF solenoid valves has a metering disk built in that can get blocked via the gunk accumulated over time. You need to disassemble the ABF a bit to clean it. The metering disk looks like a nickel with a hole drilled in the center. Not as large, but the closest thing I could think of. If you remove it, fuel will flow freely, more than you can imagine, and will make the engine LOUD as the fuel flows through the engine out to the muffler... BOOm.
I forgot to replace it, and know. The deterioration of the fuel over time will accumulate in the very place where this disk resides, and now I forget what it looks like, but when gummed up, the engine won't run. It may make noise as power is supplied/removed, but could still be gummed up and dysfunctional.
tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow I've had them sit all winter and not look half that bad. One thing you could do, I started a few years ago here in Michigan. Is just adding a simple fuel shut off lever. Any tractor that is going to sit over a week or two I just shut the lever off and let it run out. I bought a dozen with clamps off Amazon for like 8 bucks. Now all my engines have them, no more carb cleaning just flip an go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news fellow tractorers, got the new carb in the mail. Now as soon as this tropical storm passes I will get it on.

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
You have to post a video to a web service (YouTube, Tinypics, etc..) then copy the hyperlink to here, the site does not allow video files directly in the threads....even though it says it does!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mark- that is the engine oil. I changed it back in may? I leave the mower outside but with a tarp over it.
How can that much water be getting in? That's obviously more than moisture.
I do live in a small neighborhood with 3 mischievous almost highschoolers...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts