My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman 917.256591. Purchased 1996 new and has cut my 3/4 acre. I maintain it and still runs well except for this recent problem. About 1.5 months ago it started sputtering and hunting on me, as if starved for gas, and died. Shot some starting fluid down the carb and ran for a second and died, so I figured had a fuel problem and started at the most basic source.

Ran it a few days later without the cap and it ran just fine. Figured that the 13 year old cap was not venting, also changed with the correct micron oem kohler fuel filter and went on my happy way. Ran just fine until two days ago when it started having the exact same symptoms. Pulled the cap off and it kept doing the same thing-no fix. I DID just add what I had left in gas before mowing with what was left in my gas can, so there could have been crap in there, but this gas was less than a month old-tank was about 1/4 full per cap gauge. I'm pretty sure the carb (Nikki) is fine. It has been replaced once years back and I would not see a problem with a carb being intermittent. Would think its there or its not.

Does anyone know if the diaphragm pulse fuel pumps on these can have intermittent symptoms and act like this? Let me know. Or if anyone has other ideas, appreciated. I am back out to the garage and going to get some fresh gas and see if the bottom of the can stuff had an issue, but I am not banking on it. Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts