My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had a fuel valve fail to keep fuel from getting to the carb? You know, those plastic manual fuel valves that we install in the carb fuel line that 'stop' the fuel from getting into the carb while the machine is in storage.

Well, I found my snow machine with a large gasoline puddle under it this afternoon (4pm). The valve is turned off, the fuel tank is (now) empty. The fuel is dripping out the exhaust pipe. The valve was 'new' last year and they have never failed me, until today.

The oil smells okay, but I'll change it after I rebuild the carb, install a new 'fuel shut off' valve, remove the head and clean up inside, blow out the intake and exhaust ports, etc. I'll remove the muffler and run 'commando', to the delight of the neighbors. The muffler must be soaked with fuel.

This is the second plastic valve that has permitted fuel to flow thru the carb when it was turned off. Not a cheapo, but a B&S part. Anybody else ever have a failure? :dunno:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I have never (yet) had one let gas go thru to the carb when in the "off" position--but I have had the stupid knob pop right out of the housing on one used one I had,when I went to shut it off--and that has the valve made onto it--the 1/4 tank of gas gushed all over a nice hot engine and went "sssssssssssssssss":eek:.....
I was just waiting for a "WHOOOOF" or a "BOOOOOOM",but luckily it just sizzled and evaporated...this was a B&S red and black one I took off an old push mower...needless to say i'm less than impressed with them,but I am using one on one of my tractors,reluctantly,but thats all I had handy...

I have yet to find any decent quality shut offs that have a screen and dont seize up or leak ,even most of the old ones that came on engines are cheap aluminum junk--some cost 10-20 bucks too!...I want brass or stainless and no leaks for that kind of money...something that'll LAST too!..motorcycle ones really suck too,they feel like they are made of lead,and hard to find and very costly when you snap off the lever on one..

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I use them things often and have never had one fail to shut fuel off.

Hard to believe you have had 2 fail,,,extreme bad luck maybe??

Only thing I can guess ,,is it was wore out from dirt,,ect,,,and being used,,,allot. Maybe some dirt in it still. Even a small trickle of gas still going through is enough to cause problems if the needle and seat in carb is not working.

Another thought is,,,maybe you did not have it shut off all the way.:dunno: ( it very easy to test the shut off in question)

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,474 Posts
"Has anybody had a fuel valve fail to keep fuel from getting to the carb? You know, those plastic manual fuel valves that we install in the carb fuel line that 'stop' the fuel from getting into the carb while the machine is in storage."

Absolutely, several of them and I quit using the kind you describe and went to the twice as expensive metal version not that the "metal" description had anything particular to do with it. While there are lots of those plastic ones that look alike, there must have been some difference in them as ones from some suppliers leaked while ones from others did not. I know Stens and Maple Grove both replace several for myself and a friend also in the business. Many of these leaked when brand new so ethanol was not a factor with them. I have in the last couple of years returned to the plastic ones with no problem that I am aware of recently. I buy, sell, rebuilt, so have had a pretty fair turn over in the past years. I have slowed down a lot now.

Walt Conner

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
I am using one, and have not had a problem, the only reasion I use it is the Gas tank is above the carb on my Ford. I leave it open, and just in case I see a high level on the dip stick, or leaking fuel I can shut it off. It also uses a fuel pump.

The Craftsmans have the fuel tank lower than the carb and they have fuel pumps, don't see a need for the fuel cut off on these.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have three that I got from a local dealer. They are on equipment that isn't used much and I turn them off and run the gas out of the carb. They are only a years or so old
and haven't failed yet. It may be that the ethanol, it's hard on old gas line.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sounds a little like overkill, but I replace the shutoff, filter, and fuel lines on both LT's at the start of every mowing season. I don't trust today's fuel enough to run through rubber lines or plastic parts in contact with it.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thinking back on the situation, I was 'funny' to see the gas tank emptying itself, with the fuel shutoff turned off. Not a slow trickle, but a full blown gusha. Running too fast so I couldn't run and get the drip pan to throw under it.
Then today, while replacing the shutoff valve and filter, I dropped the oil. Now keep in mind that the fill tube is about 10 inches long. This brownish smelly liquid kept coming out of the empty port. And coming, and coming.... I still had some fuel left in the fuel tank.
At 25 degrees, I replaced all the fuel lines, valve, filters, oil, cleaned the spark plug, the usual springtime stuff.
Turned the engine over several times by hand with the new oil in it, then spun it over with the battery and no plug, while exhausting all the gas from the combustion area. Checked the head bolts, all were quite loose, so maybe the muffler isn't full of fuel, just the outside coated iwith it.
Let it sit over lunchtime, started it up and let it run at slow speed. Smoked like the devil from the exhaust, but it cleared up.
Now it won't shut off. :banghead3 The valve works because I shut the valve off, the motor used up all the fuel in the bowl. A problem for a warmer time of year.....summer.
The valve was either a Stens or a NAPA/B&S equivalent, black body, red moveable part, about a year old.

Never had this problem with my hand operated snow shovel.

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts