My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently picked up a 2002 LX279.I got it home and it would run a few minutes and die. new plugs,fuel filter,seafoam,full tank of fresh gas and it ran great. a few days ago the problem came back I checked fuel pump(good) pulled carb bowl and cleaned carb. no good. gas level was under half. I filled tank and seems to be back to running great. This makes no sense to me. Any experience this? Thanks

·
22,335 Posts
Dirt in the tank plugging the screen at low fuel levels?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The pickup tube in the tank may be split part way up allowing the pump to suck air instead of gas. You will probably want to replace the grommet at the same time as they get mushy with age. Fortunately it's very simple to remove the fenderdeck on your unit.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Also replace the fuel line going to the carb so it won't leak and start a fire. :crybaby: I liked my 279...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Check the gas cap vent?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Also replace the fuel line going to the carb so it won't leak and start a fire. :crybaby: I liked my 279...
Great point !!! When I recently did a bunch of work on my GT245 I went to Napa and bought 10 feet of fuel line so I would have plenty. I already had a couple of the grommets on hand for my L100 refurbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies and advice on the fire. I did check the gas cap. I really like the mower and got a good deal on it just gotta put some work into it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled fenders and removed fuel line from tank. Tank looks clean and lines and pick up tube don't appear to have any holes or splits. The grommet is pretty deteriorated where it was inside tank. Headed to dealer for new one. I guess a poor seal could cause fuel pick up issues ?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Nope. The grommet just keeps the fuel from leaking when you have the tank full or you drive over uneven terrain. The pickup tube that goes down to the bottom of the tank is what draws the fuel. Well, actually the pump draws the fuel but... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gave up and pulled carb off for cleaning. pulled bowl and was preparing to spray off with carb cleaner before soaking it.I noticed it "rattled" There was a good sized bolt in between the butterflies. I had to take a butterfly off to get it out:fing20: Not sure if PO dropped a bolt down the intake or he's a sadistic SOB Went ahead and have it soaking and get a rebuild kit while I have it off but that bolt had to have a negative effect on things. Thanks for all the replies to help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts