My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case some of you did not know, Stihl and Husqvarna recommend using high grade fuel in their equipment. Here's some info: http://www.madsens1.com/saw fuelmix.htm

So when I run up to a local Mobil gas station with one gallon jug, which is enough for a few months, it came up on my mind that their pumps (in my area) have only one nozzle instead of three individual nozzles (one for each grade). Since most of us fill up our ride with regular, I wonder how much leftover regular is inside the hose before it would finally start dispensing premium fuel. Or does their pumps automatically siphon all the fuel out of hose before switching grades?

Some of you probably could care less, but wouldn't you be upset if you got a gallon of regular when you need a gallon of premium for proper performance? It does not take much to fill up a small jug. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
473 Posts
All the stations I go too are the same. One nozle for all grades. When I was a kid the old gastations hoses would hold enough gas that I would take a can after hours and drain the hoses and get enough to mow, run my mini bike and never pay anything. That was when gas was 17.9 cents per gallon. When I got married in 71 in Detroit there was a gas war and it still was only 19.9 cents per gallon. It is what it is. I drive nothing but big V8 engines and the high octane still makes my engines knock. This new gas is the .....Pits. Just fill it and don't worry about it. A gallon for a few months must be nice. I fill 4, 5 gallon cans every month for my toys.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It is not going to be enough left over in the line to worry about, only a few ounces I think.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I use the cheapest gas in my Stihls and they run great. slkpk

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
I doubt more than an eyedropper full stays in the hose,at 2.65 per gallon!..

I think the same tank supplies all 3 "grades" of gas myself--pushing the 87,89.or 92 octane button just raises the PRICE,not the octane, if you ask me!..I haven't been able to tell the difference with the 10% ethanol fuel here..

My budget forces me to buy the cheapest gas I can get..I even use gas I get free from cars about to be scrapped or had to have their tanks emptied
for a fuel pump replacement at my friends shop..I just let it sit and any contaminants settle to the bottom,and I siphon it off the top..everything seems to run the same as it does with "fresh" gas bought at the station..

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I use the cheapest gas in my Stihls and they run great. slkpk
I run the cheapest stuff in everything too. The only fuel related problems I have ever had is related to ethonol disolving older fuel line.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Eight to ten feet of hose and piping from the internal "grade selection valve" with an inside diameter of approx 1"+ to the shutoff valve at the end. Try the same length experiment with a garden hose and water. Do the math, there's quite a bit of gas left in that hose from the previous use. I myself don't "do math" so the volume of fluid formula for those measurements I leave to those that were paying attention in school and not thinking about "other things"...:D

I'll personally be putting that first gallon of "premium 89 octane" into the tractor to get my Stihl mix fuel can filled from now on. I believe there's enough in that hose system to reduce 89 to 87 in one gallon. At the very least it's enough to degrade that gallon...

But... is that 89 really "89 octane" at YOUR or MY gas station? Boy, would I love to be a fly on the wall when that tanker truck is loading up at the dock down on the river!:ROF:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'd be more concerned with 1 gallon lasting a couple of months. Todays gas really sucks up moisture. After 30 days, my gas mix goes in a tractor, and fresh gas is purchased for the 2 strokes.

·
All Fired Up
454 Posts
Eight to ten feet of hose and piping from the internal "grade selection valve" with an inside diameter of approx 1"+ to the shutoff valve at the end. Try the same length experiment with a garden hose and water. Do the math, there's quite a bit of gas left in that hose from the previous use. I myself don't "do math" so the volume of fluid formula for those measurements I leave to those that were paying attention in school and not thinking about "other things"...:D

I'll personally be putting that first gallon of "premium 89 octane" into the tractor to get my Stihl mix fuel can filled from now on. I believe there's enough in that hose system to reduce 89 to 87 in one gallon. At the very least it's enough to degrade that gallon...

But... is that 89 really "89 octane" at YOUR or MY gas station? Boy, would I love to be a fly on the wall when that tanker truck is loading up at the dock down on the river!:ROF:D:D:D
OK I did the math, the hose at 10 feet and an inside diameter of 1" means that 40% of the gallon is what was left in the hose. Quite Significant I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts