My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZT 48 and the gas gage sits at empty despite the level of fuel in the tank. I have removed the gage and the float will move up and down the gage freely. The needle also correctly reflects the position of the float. For whatever reason, it seems the float will not float. I had thought about attaching cork or something of that nature to the float, but I wouldn't be able to get the gage assembly back into the tank. The cost to replace this gage is about $40. So, short of replacing the gage (really don't like that option as it's likely to fail again), does anyone here have any advice on how to repair the existing gage or where to find a less expensive replacement?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Did the float spring a leak, fill with gas, and become a 'sink'?

Might try pulling it out of the tank, drying if off with a clean rag, and then holding it in various orientations to see if gas starts dribbling out somewhere..... Once you know where the problem is, you can decide on how best to fix it.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
All of the new gas floats don't float so good and they haven't been good for over 2 years. I gave up on them altogether. The best fix is to just look inside the tank for a gas level.

·
Gravely1964
3,895 Posts
All of the new gas floats don't float so good and they haven't been good for over 2 years. I gave up on them altogether. The best fix is to just look inside the tank for a gas level.
On any of the zero turns new ish you have to put gas in and then tap gauge with finger to jolt it to level. :dunno: why but there all like that. Best guess is while its easy for us to move by hand theres not a ton of force applied by the fuel movement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the float spring a leak, fill with gas, and become a 'sink'?

Might try pulling it out of the tank, drying if off with a clean rag, and then holding it in various orientations to see if gas starts dribbling out somewhere..... Once you know where the problem is, you can decide on how best to fix it.
I pulled it from the tank and blew it dry with compressed air. I dipped it back in the tank and removed it again but could not detect where it may have been filling up with gas. Gas would not drain from the float so I couldn't determine if it was holding gas or if it wasn't but simply won't float.

This mower has less than 80 hours and the float hasn't worked in the past 20 hours so it's kind of aggravating that it didn't last any longer than it did.

·
Daryl G
876 Posts
Greyhound101,
I would contact Gravely directly about this issue. - I would be willing to bet that they will take care of this problem for you. Give them the details you included here. Their business is the have happy, repeat customers and if there is an issue with the reliability of this component they certainly need to know.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Gravely dores no make the fuel caps. They are made by another company that specializes in fuel stoage and delivery systems. My guess is that they changed plastic type due to the amount of ethanol in the gasoline. I think the only solution is to fashion your own from either brass (think carb float) or cork. The other option is to put a real electric sending unit and gauge on the machine.

eGauges.com - Auto Meter, Classic Instruments, Defi, Isspro and VDO Gauges, Senders, Mounting and Accessories

·
Registered
28 Posts
Exact same problem here. The float is a solid foam casting. I am guessing it's saturated,too heavy to work. Perhaps it's an ethanol issue. $70 on Amazon,$45 at the dealership. Not worth it considering where my fill cap is located. Looking for a fix and disappointed. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Fuel senders are typically closed cell foam nowadays and have been for nearly 40 years. Does the float slide up and down or does it have an arm with the float at the end? If it’s the latter, there are adjustable senders that can be set to the depth of the tank, but you will need to match the sender resistance. There are only a few standard resistances. Some of these senders come with the float separate. If you can find one of those, you could just swap the float with the one you have. It may not read perfect, but at least it will read in the ballpark. Hope this helps.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
938 Posts
Same as Kbeitz and the sealer I use is a couple of coats of shellac.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ditto to the sealer. I had the same issue. I put mine in a food dehydrator (probably not a smart move in retrospect) and let it run for a couple days. Then coated it with SealAll. It's been fine for a couple years now.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I pulled it from the tank and blew it dry with compressed air. I dipped it back in the tank and removed it again but could not detect where it may have been filling up with gas. Gas would not drain from the float so I couldn't determine if it was holding gas or if it wasn't but simply won't float.

This mower has less than 80 hours and the float hasn't worked in the past 20 hours so it's kind of aggravating that it didn't last any longer than it did.
So what was your final fix? Repair or replace with OEM part or replace with alternate part or live with it as it is?

With all the contoured tanks these days, there may not be a line of sight to the bottom and you will need to know where full is to mark the stick and determine how full the tank is if it is a rectangle and if contoured, you will have to know how many gallons for full. Then add 1/4 of the full gallons, dip it, mark the stick, etc for 1/2, 3/4. More if you care about 1/8’s.

I sold a custom fuel sender to Harley for a cycle that used the frame for the tank and it was anything but linear. And I couldn’t put a stick in my X738 more than an inch or two which would only amount to maybe 1/8 of a tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts