My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed both rear tires from my 8244 tonight trying to adjust the weak S/P that has plagued the mower. To make matters worse the right side seems to drive better than the left with obvious results. You are constantly trying to correct the mower.
Lifting the mower on end, getting my nose under the rear flap,and loosening bolts on both sides of the axle and trying to adjust did nothing.
It looks to me like none of the holes around the axle are elongated for adjustment.
Am I missing something?

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I removed both rear tires from my 8244 tonight trying to adjust the weak S/P that has plagued the mower. To make matters worse the right side seems to drive better than the left with obvious results. You are constantly trying to correct the mower.
Lifting the mower on end, getting my nose under the rear flap,and loosening bolts on both sides of the axle and trying to adjust did nothing.
It looks to me like none of the holes around the axle are elongated for adjustment.
Am I missing something?
One roller is probably more worn down than the other. The grooves in the rollers get worn down over time and don't work to well anymore. The rollers on my 8237 are like that. The groves are completely worn down and when you get into wet grass, it's useless. Need to dig through the stash and find that new set of rollers for it...

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
The top hole is elongated. You need to remove the spring on the other side to adjust the clutch easier. I just went through this and figured it out the other day, I was about to run over this Capstan thing with my truck. Works great now.

Once you get it adjusted correctly, they will both push down good on the rollers and that pull will go away. Mine was doing just like yours, it's an 8241AE.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
I will give it another go tonight.
My other thought was removing the drive rollers and taking them into work and re-knurling them. The tires look great although I'm sure that has to be what is worn.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
That's what that adjustment is for, takes up the worn slack. That spring over there keeps that adjustable bolt pulled down when you try and adjust it up. You can push down on that left side and adjust it but it was pretty difficult with the spring pressure. Was easier to just pop the spring off, adjust it, and pop the spring back on. I just wire brushed the rollers while I had the roller covers and wheels off.

Best of luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts