My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adapted a Swisher ATV snow plow to my Husqvarna R322TX which works really well except that in deep snow it over-tops the blade and collects on the blade mount where the angle mechanism is.

There really is no easy way to remove the snow from the area and if/when there is a mild spell and resulting thaw, it forms ice that then stops the angle adjustment from working. Unfortunately I don't have a heated garage in which to put it to melt the ice.

This past week we had a mild enough spell that I could set a radiant heater close enough to melt the snow but not warm enough to dry it out so the water refroze in between the plates that was hard to free up. Even after I got it to move, there must have still been ice present as the angle changes were not as smooth as they could be. I have the angle lift pin rigged to a lever beside the seat so I can usually change the angle without leaving the seat by lifting the pin and then catching a corner of the blade on a snow bank.

I suppose keeping the snow out of the area would be a good start. I don't know if a snow deflector flap added to the top of the blade would be enough to keep the snow from over-topping. Maybe I could make a cover for the mount adapter.

Plan B would be removing the snow before it melts and refreezes. Short of taking the blade off the tractor and flipping it over so I can dump the snow or warm it with a tiger torch, I don't know what else to do. I don't really want to use my 2-cycle gas leaf blower in sub-zero weather and don't have an electric one.

I got an ATV cover that is large enough to fit over the blade and the machine so I can put a heater under it but since heat rises, it won't put enough heat close to the ground except on perhaps the mildest days.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried building a shield for it, some light weight flexible plastic?
I've not tried yet but was considering maybe an EPDM rubber flap. Maybe a thick plastic sheet they make snow slides out of would be a better material. For sure it should not become brittle in the cold.

·
close enuff works for me
2,969 Posts
Try spray lubricant on the whole pivot area and adjuster,it will make an oily mess.Snow and ice doesn't stick to an oily surface very well.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to use oil as the viscosity would make it harder to angle the blade in the cold so I sprayed some WD40 between the plates. Maybe I should look into some superhydrophobic coatings.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Spray it with windshield washer fluid or rv antifreeze? Redirect the exhaust to keep it warm? Plow more frequently?
I'd probably pack it with grease, and try to deflect the snow away from it.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I would first make a deflector for the top of the plow, as even if it doesn't entirely fix the problem, it reduces how much snow goes over the top of the plow. Then, I would grease up the pin and mating surfaces for the angling mechanism.

If it still freezes up due, I would then fab up a shield to go on top of it, and then knock off any snow that builds up on the shield, so when it gets to melting temps, the water doesn't run into the angling mechanism.

As well, firing up a 2-cycle blower in the winter isn't a big deal. I use a backpack blower throughout the winter (when the snow isn't that deep), even when the temp is below -30C.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
And to follow up, using WW fluid or rv antifreeze, I think you'd have to reapply it all the time. I tried using WW fluid to help with the chute for a Toro 21" snowblower from freezing up, and it just helped for a very short time (as in, maybe the first time it would have frozen up). I haven't come up with something that helps for any significant amount of time, other than remembering to knock off the snow around the chute mechanism every time I stop using it (which just helps a bit, doesn't eliminate the problem as some snow melts in the mechanism as you use it, due to heat from the motor).

·
Administrator
16,807 Posts
As Dave mentioned, a snow deflector is the best idea. If you google homemade snow plow deflector or DIY snow deflector, you'll get some ideas. There are ATV deflectors out there for around $75, some a bit less. Here's a link for a pic to give you some ideas. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200360002_200360002?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Snow + Ice Removal > Snowplow Accessories&utm_campaign=SAM&utm_content=148245&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxdnK_Y_b5gIVCNbACh2IEQLoEAQYAiABEgKQjvD_BwE
Personally I would go home made. Some of the DIY ideas range from old conveyor belt to pieces of a stall mat, to strips of rubber floor covering (although that seems a bit light weight to me.
MikeC

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been contemplating a snow deflector for some time now and to that end been keeping an eye out for a strip of rubber.

Plan B would be removing the snow before it melts and refreezes. Short of taking the blade off the tractor and flipping it over so I can dump the snow...
I don't know why I was reluctant to do this. The receiver mount on the R322TX is designed for tool-less mounting/removal and so only takes a few seconds. I took the plow off yesterday to clear out the ice and snow and to give thought for how to fashion a cover for the angle mechanism. I'll keep an eye out for a plastic snow sled to cut up for a cover hopefully in a matching Husqvarna orange.

Probably from now on it will stay colder so melting and refreezing should not be a problem.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
918 Posts
Cut up an old truck (18 wheeler) inner tube and zip tie it around the area. Spray the plates with silicone spray.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts