My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have wanted to place a retaining wall to bulkhead some dirt in the front yard and didn't do it because it would have been to time consuming and I just didn't want to be a mule doing it by hand.

So I started clearing and firming up where the wall is going to go. I am really learning how to use the loader. Floating, both pushing and pulling. Sure beats the heck out of using a grub hoe and shovel.

I wanted the retaining wall level and on the sloped property it was a bit of a challange for me until I got the first three boards down.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That's a great looking start. It's going to look really good when finished.

Is that a culvert inlet in your photos? Or maybe just a drop inlet? Either way, it's one of the better looking ones that I've seen and I really like the concrete lining the edge of the roadway. It really dresses that edge up and looks to be very functional.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words DJ.

Speaking of culverts. I have a 12" corrugated plastic culvert that runs 112 ft. from the back yard up to the one you see in the picture. It runs parallel to my property line on the left. Used to be a drainage ditch but it made to much of my property on that side unusable. After I finish the retaining wall I am going to take the old bricks out on the culvert entrance and redo it hopefully more tastefully than what the neighbor did. I have a great neighbor and she is an interesting person.

·
Registered
122 Posts
nice job and you definitely got the right tool for the project with that "fel".

If I had a nice fel I could get into a lot of trouble er I mean improvements in the yard.

Project is looking good so far keep us posted!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks good! I'd love to see some pics of that yanmar! There were no dealers around me when I bought my jd 1023.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So before the rains started I got this much more done.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alex, you can see a lot on my SC2450 by going to this LINK.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Fletch for the kind comments. I should have it finished this week and will definitely post my progress.

I will be installing a couple of deadman falls to make sure it doesn't fold over with time.

I also used 1/2" rebar 24" long to anchor the base. I drilled through three layers and it gave me plenty of support.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally learned a bit on using the loader instad of a grub Hoe by hand.

finally got it leveled all the way up.

Deciding at what level to put the dead falls in.

Installing the dead falls

Both are in

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Alex, was the JD 455 a diesel??? At one time I thought seriously about the 455. I believe they were all diesels.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I extended it one more timber length, 8 ft. You can see the extra fill dirt in this frame also.

Started to back fill and use the fill.

Next will be getting a lot of the small trees dug up and finish back filling so the wife and tell me what plants and trees she wants planted. After I finish working up on the plateau I will finish the bulk head on the right end and get some more fill and level it out.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That looks really good. The tie-backs are a good idea and you constructed them well. They should work well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Doing a good job there. The dead men are a nice added piece to round out the wall.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I extended it I will install one more deadman. Maybe some more progress tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
LOL, when I saw your first picture of the lumber I was wondering what kind of concrete form you are building. In Hawaii you couldn't do it like you're doing because the termites would eat that wall within a year or too. The wood looks better than cement though.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pressure treated lumber is only good for about 20 yrs. I just didn't want to spend a gazillion dollars on the project so the landscape timbers.

I lived in Hawaii from 69-77 on Oahu. I was in the USN then and have some fond memories of my time there.

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I finally got back out and did some more on the wall. Brought in some more fill as I will be boxing myself out as I finish the wall.

Got a lot of debris out and back filled a lot. Put the third deadman in and finished the front.

If you look close you can even see my wife's Dogwood tree I planted. Hopefully I will be done in another week. I used up all the fill dirt I had so I have to go get some more.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I lived in Hawaii from 69-77 on Oahu. I was in the USN then and have some fond memories of my time there.
I was stationed at Kaneohe back then with the 3rd Marines. Small world.

Who owns that strip of dirt behind the retaining wall? I noticed that 5' stump just begging to be dug out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts