My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 222 and want some weight on the front for snow plow season. will craftsman rears fit on the front? any other easily accessible ideas besides filling the tires?

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Filling the tires is going to only net you about ten lbs or so. They take appox 1 gallon each at around 5lbs per gallon.

I would add weights to the rear of the plow blade somehow. Mounting weights on the front of tractor would likely impede the movement of the plow, so not too much you can do without geting creative.

If I am not mistaken i have seen pictures of front wheels weights before on a case GT. Probably rare as hen's teeth though, they looked cast iron and were painted power red.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
I assume you have smooth "rib" or turf tires and want more traction in snow.
Carlilse HDAP atv tires are available from Summit Racing for $20 ea
Ag style bar tires are available from Sears Auto for $28 ea
size is 16-6.5 x 8

Either one run @ 5 psi will improve steering
Folks swear by V-61 5 ribs however they are more $`s ( Vredstein ?)

EDIT: Sears will ship to your local Sear Auto store for free.
I`m 5 min from Summit, going to pick up a set and give them a try.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i have stock tires on my 222. i was planning on buying 2 link v bar chains for the rear but i'm worried about steering. I want to ad extra weight to help. my plan was to ad fluid but then i figured it would be so little that it wouldn't be worth it. I saw some sears wheel weights for 8in rims and thought they might fit and was curious if any has done that themselves. adding weight to the plow will only add down pressure and make it harder to steer.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Attachments

·
Snowcastor
93 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Sno-Hog tires, I haven't tried them yet but have read that some other members had success with them.

224-79

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
yes i have stock tires on my 222. i was planning on buying 2 link v bar chains for the rear but i'm worried about steering. I want to ad extra weight to help. .
Tires without "gaps" just pack with snow and turn into skis, adding any reasonable amount of weight can`t overcome this. Weight is a good idea, but the best results per dollar, come from tires. JMO

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I`ve heard good reports on those also, I assume you have 3.5" wide rims ?
The O.P. would need a wider size
The 4/8.00 tires will go right on regular front 8" rims. You MUST use tubes. I have three sets of these tires and I 'm pleased 100%

·
Snowcastor
93 Posts

I'm not sure where I got them. LOL

I'm from Canada and they are Discontinued Here. I've read in other posts

that this Certain Store that's comman in the USA .To me it was a GIGANTIC

Farmers Delight. They had RACKS of Sno-HOGS. :)LOL

I picked up 2 standard Rims when I was at the Rockford Show and are having

them cut down to 4". On my way home Rockford = Regina I drove through

alot of Cities so I don't recall which city I bought them in. :trink39:

They were $65.00 for the pair total. They are 4.80x8 and look Great.

224-79

·
Snowcastor
93 Posts
StS25

Do you have a photo of the mounted 8" Rims I was thinking a narrower wheel path.

I don't have mine mounted and can still either way

Thanks

224-79

·
Snowcastor
93 Posts
sts25

Are the Tri-Ribs better that the Sno-Hogs?

I get Icy conditions at Minus 40. LOL

I've used this Tractor for thirty years with chains on the front tires without

any issues other than a totally worn-out streering system. LOL

I've also ordered Studs and will put them in the Snow-Hogs if need be.

Thanks

224-79

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Here's a good picture of a front wheel weight that fits. Not Case but they are about 25 lbs each. I had a pair of the Craftsman weights and never tried them but I seem to remember they are chunkier and would stick out more. These set right in on the spindle nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
StS25

Do you have a photo of the mounted 8" Rims I was thinking a narrower wheel path.

I don't have mine mounted and can still either way

Thanks

224-79
The pic I posted above are tri-rib on wide front rims. Here is a better picture of the tires on my buddies 312.
I use these tires mainly for winter use to aid with steering when using a blade or snow thrower.They keep your front end from sliding.I'm 100% happy with them. ALSO.....When using the tri-rib tires,they will improve steering so much you wont take them off (almost like adding power steering). Snow hog or bar tires up front make steering worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
everybody thanks for all the help

I`ve heard good reports on those also, I assume you have 3.5" wide rims ?
The O.P. would need a wider size
what does O.P. mean

I am looking for some 3 rib tires now. maybe tires and rims

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel dumb O.P.

Are the Hi-Run Rib Tire, 16 x 6.5 - 8 from tractor supply any good. are 3 rib better than 5 rib? I would like to make this as cheap and easy as possible. Any other tips, ideas, or deals would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts