My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new lawn mower but im new to riders. I live in the suburbs but there are still very large lawns here. I am really looking at a toro rear engine 8hp right now. I like it because it looks munuverable. BUT.....I also want to use it to pull my other walking lawnmowers and edgers around from job to job and maybe some light snow plowing (I also have 3 snow blowers too though). So pretty much here is what im asking. Either buy a rear engine that will be better for mowing or buy a front engine thats better for towing and plowing but way less agile and way less gas efficient. Thanks alot

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I would buy the front engine. I don't think a RER will have the weight and traction you will need for pulling a trailer and plowing. Are you looking at new or used?

Jason

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Deffinatly a front- engine tractor. Way better for plowing or get a blower for it. My murray will turn realy tight and so does my grandpa's deere.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! im looking at them used but "refurbished" (like new). So am I wrong about the turning factors. I wont be mowing lawns that are all that huge and can the rear engines just not tow at all? Thanks alot im new to this

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also is 450 a good price for a 8hp toro rear engine rider from the late 80's early 90's? Also would it help any if i got a 12 hp for the rear engine rider. or still just not enough traction?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Also is 450 a good price for a 8hp toro rear engine rider from the late 80's early 90's? Also would it help any if i got a 12 hp for the rear engine rider. or still just not enough traction?
Horsepower is nothing it is all about weight. A RER doesnt have a factory hitch or blade/ blower. I'd look at the JD LX ot LT series.

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If it were me, I would look for a Bolens made before 1988. They are absolute tanks.

Jason

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
IN the past I owned a JD R70 Rear engine rider with a 30inch snow blade it did ok plowing Snow as long as I didn't wait for it to stop snowing and Kept up on the snow it did fine But if you waited it was sometimes usless to Plow with it. But the RER did ok with towing implemets such as Carts, detatcher and lawn roller. THat said if you really want to Plow snow or Blow snow Get a Lawn tractor or even a Garden tractor. Currently the only Rear engine Rider that Takes a 36inch Front snow Blade is a Snapper Rear engine rider. That 36inch blade would be good for southern IL were they don't get alot of Heavy snow. A used GT that might be perfect for you is a Old IH Cub Cadet Narrow or wide Frame tractor something like this
or like this
other Brands I would suggest used would Be a Toro/WH 312H,416H These tractor are narrow like a rear engine rider and Can take smaller mowing decks like the Cub's Pictured They don't take up alot of storage space and attachments such as Snow Blades and Snow throwere are still very avaliable for both Brands.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. And if i understood you currectly you said that it has nothing to do with hp just weight. couldent i just add weight? Also i dont need a itch or plow mount because i want to make my own. Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am only doing very light towing and very light plowing. Hope it dosent snow alot this year in kane county last year was bad. i even had to bust out my massive snow blower. i will only be plowing a inch to 5 inches the rest i leave up to my 3 snow blowers. and i will be only towing a mower and a gallon of gas maybe at most. still think i need i front engine?

·
Registered
125 Posts
i had a early cub cc rear engine rider. It had a hitch on it. It was a beast. It pulled 450lbs of gravel but the belt skipped a little bit. It had an 8 hp motor that ran great. I beat the **** out of it.id pull wheelies and take it romping. I broke a bearing in the rear axle and junked it. I would trade my Toro wheel horse 212-h for a rear anyway would buy the rer and put chains weights and possible ags on the rear. Make a plow and ud be good for what ever u want to do with it. So id buy the Toro.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I myself would go for a Front engine tractor, only because I don't care for RER mowers, that being said the RER you are looking at should do all that you want. Maybe not the moving snow, but towing a small trailer with light weight in it. :wwp::thThumbsU

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
One word proves rear engine garden tractor is better. Gravely. But it will have to be a used one or NOS as they quit building them in 2006. And you need a good trailer to move one as they weigh close to 1000 pounds. Without attachments. Most attachment add 200 to 400 lbs to the weigh.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awsome. It cant even move light snow. I will get pics up as soon as i get it:thThumbsU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I'd still recomend a lawn tractor or a garden tractor. They are just so much easier to find/make attachments for and less worry at bending the frame or ruining the trans-axle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait. whats a trans-axle. and how is it easier to bend the frame. i wont be running into things.

·
Collector Of Junk!
233 Posts
Wait. whats a trans-axle. and how is it easier to bend the frame. i wont be running into things.
I would worry about bending the frame pushing snow as it can get pretty heavy. A RER is not really meant for plowing like a LT/GT is.

The transaxle is the transmission or the rear end the wheels bolt on to.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts