My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 32 years the front concrete steps needed to go. The wrought iron railing was rusted thru at concrete and concrete was starting to spall and crumble in a couple of spots. The CFO also wanted something a little bigger so she could put some chairs & small table to sit out on.
She also wanted to re-landscape the front to have more curb appeal.

First pic is what it looked like right after we painted the house & put new roof on last year.

Second & Third pics are the start of demolition. Our one son was home from Va. for about 2 weeks before he had to go back & start his new job after graduating from VT. He wanted something to do, so he tore down the landscape blocks, removed field stone pavers & dug up some of the plants.
Then him & his twin went to town starting the demo. We still have half the steps to get rid of but they got a good dig into it.

This will probably be a summer long project and I will try to update as we progress in between other projects.

YEAH, I know...I have to block the front door so no one opens it, steps out and kills themselves (most likely me).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Having the kids does work sometimes. They really went to town on the demo. :tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
Unless you enjoy physical exertion, I would suggest renting a jackhammer to break up the solid bits...

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having the kids does work sometimes. They really went to town on the demo.
Michael,
They did enjoy it quite a bit. That was about 2 hours worth of work.
Unless you enjoy physical exertion, I would suggest renting a jackhammer to break up the solid bits...
Dave,
I do enjoy the physical exertion, especially since I work behind a desk all day. I won't go full bore like they did, but may chip at a little every day (pun intended). It may come down to small jack hammer when I get toward the bottom & if I decide to take out the slab underneath. But even that would probably shake my older bones.

By the way, anyone need some free fill?

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,613 Posts
Good progress, John. Always good to have help with strong backs too.

Are you planning on doing the rebuild or hiring it out?

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you planning on doing the rebuild or hiring it out?
I planning on doing it mostly ourselves, that's why it will be a summer long project. I'm looking right now as how to approach the piers/footings for the deck posts. Whether drill post holes & use sono-tube, drill & pre-cast piers or this:
https://www.technometalpost.com/en-CA/applications/residential-foundations/patios-decks/
Not sure if that would work with the very rocky soil we have here. If you look close at the pictures I originally posted, the rocks inside the steps were from the front yard after the house was built & landscaping done.
I have access to a post hole digger that I can hook to the 3 PH on the Kubota, but that does not have down pressure. I may contact local fence company as they have skidsteer with one and see what they would charge.
I know here the city recycles concrete. Course, you have to haul it to them...
I found a local business that does that. Just waiting to hear if I can haul to them & they can do what they want with it.

·
Administrator
17,190 Posts
\
She also wanted to re-landscape the front to have more curb appeal.
I don't know John, looks like this is more than a new set of steps. That sounds more like "Hey Honey, what say we sell and get a new place":tango_face_devil:
MikeC

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know John, looks like this is more than a new set of steps. That sounds more like "Hey Honey, what say we sell and get a new place":tango_face_devil:
MikeC
I hope not!!!!:praying:

It been this way for almost 30 years, so it's overdue for a change and update.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Rent a clay spade or extended 24'' paving breaker with the jackhammer for digging the footing if the soil is rocky. I would guess you have to go down at least 30'' for footings. Check with your bldg department on what you need for permitting. I've had hateful people drop the dime over nothing repairs. I had talked with permitting services before hand and had been misinformed by them, , so no fine, just had to obtain permit. When you go to sell, buyers ask, was it permitted? Good drawings save you time and money.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Rent a clay spade or extended 24'' paving breaker with the jackhammer for digging the footing if the soil is rocky. I would guess you have to go down at least 30'' for footings. Check with your bldg department on what you need for permitting. I've had hateful people drop the dime over nothing repairs. I had talked with permitting services before hand and had been misinformed by them, , so no fine, just had to obtain permit. When you go to sell, buyers ask, was it permitted? Good drawings save you time and money.
Once I get the majority of block/stones busted up & removed, I will take a look at the footing base. I think it is 6" or 8" thick. Probably has WWM in it too. If my post spacing works out I may not have to remove it.

Footing depth around here is 48" or until you hit bedrock (not my case).

I'm working on plans right now to take to the town. Not sure if I need a permit as I am just "fixing" damaged stairs but will inquire anyway especially since it is road side so anyone can see as they ride by.

Don't forget to call Miss Utility first. They lay out all elec,water,gas and cable locations for you for free.
All my utilities are overhead with the exception of septic main & gutter drains. I know exactly where they are. Just had septic pumped and ran gutter drain last year.
I should hang this up so I don't get in trouble with the FEL when moving the rubble.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a little more done on the demolition this weekend in between confirmation party on Saturday & pool opening yesterday. About 6/7 buckets of stone that went onto the existing stone walls around the property & the same of concrete rubble in a pile out back. I really did not want to have to move the concrete twice, but company that recycles it never got back to me.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is any of the remaining concrete porch supporting the house?
How is the porch tied into the foundation?
The house is supported by foundation wall and has 2' overhang. I don't think it is tied into foundation, but we may have used brick ties to help keep it from separating from foundation. It's been 33 years, so my memory is a little foggy. Once I get all the fill out from inside I will have to be careful.

As I mentioned earlier, the contractor did pour a pad but never completed the stairs. It's been stable for entire time we've been in the house.

One thing I did notice is some rot under the overhang. I sort of suspected that from rain & moisture getting underneath. Once I get everything demo'ed and cleaned there will be some carpentry involved.:00000060:

·
16,476 Posts
Go-John--following your progress.

You didn't tell us you had n Orange Kubota--oh, you guy to be envious of. (I'd love to have a small 'Bota with a B/H. Ellis. up in N.Y won't give me his....(pouting face here)

BTW--How is that new truck doing for you?

take care--

glenn

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go-John--following your progress.

You didn't tell us you had n Orange Kubota--oh, you guy to be envious of. (I'd love to have a small 'Bota with a B/H. Ellis. up in N.Y won't give me his....(pouting face here)

BTW--How is that new truck doing for you?

take care--

glenn
Glenn
Got the L2550 about 2 years ago. It sure is handy to have FEL. Wish I also had a backhoe too. Maybe our next trip to Va. I can sneek by Ellis' place and drop it off to you.:tango_face_wink:
The new Chevy is nice. The Mrs. is getting real used to it. We hauled the camper Memorial day and it was no issue for it. There is a shot of it hooked up in the other thread I have for it. Thanks for asking.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update. Not much progress except for cleaning out the rocks and broken concrete block and mortar.
My son's dog checking progress and the pile of rocks that came out. The rocks got added to existing rock wall on side property line. The concrete rubble got piled out by the rear rock wall until I can find recycling place or they may just stay there. I did not want to move that twice but also needed to clean up to finish the demolition.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:
Last weekend I got all the block, rocks removed down to pad. Then started to assess damage to joists, etc., from water damage and unfortunately, carpenter ants. Once I got all the nasty stuff removed, I had a friend that works for pest control come over & give the entire overhang & exterior a good treatment. From what I explained to him & what he could see, they were confined mainly to that one area. He is going to comeback once I get the rest of the overhang opened up and give it another treatment to be safe.
Even with the heat this weekend, I got the joists sistered up and new plywood on top and everything temporary buttoned up so critters can't get in. All was PT lumber. No pictures of that since it was 7PM and I was beat yesterday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
That looks better then the damaged wood and at least it was caught before any other damage was done. After all the time that the concrete was there and that is all the damage you had I say you got lucky. The pressure treated wood should do good and with the assistance of a pest control program your home is now protected.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts