My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have been a huge help in helping me pick a tractor and now assembling and installing a snowblower. I gotta say, john deere doesnt do any favors with their computer generated pics and instructions. Im puttin in this front pto kit on an x744. It says to raise the draft arm? How do i do that? Also, is there any schematics or a chart i can look at to know the names of parts and what they do so i wont have to bug you guys so much? The deck was on the tractor at the dealership when i went to get it last week. The guy removed it rather quickly and didnt really explain what he was doing, so i didnt have a chance to see what goes where or what does what and im finding zero videos or anything on the internet showing the x744. It was zero degrees out, so i dont fault him for wanting to hurry. As always, thanks again!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
To raise the draft arms just pull back on the top hydraulic lever. There are 2 arms under the machine that hold the deck and raise and lower it. After they are up you can set the dial on the floor board to lock them up.

Assuming your going to using a blower or broom with your front pto you want to get a lock out valve for the hydraulics. What it does is shuts off the oil flow to cylinder that moves the draft arms for the mow deck. Without the valve the hydraulic port used for angling the hitch or controlling the chute rotation shares the oil with the deck cylinder and it moves really slow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One was included in the packaging. My main problem is getting started with this, it says to attach the latch plate and the one pic it shows on where to put it doesnt seem to be the same as my mower. These are general instructions for several mowers so i spose it may not be the same. It specifies that certain included parts are for tractors other than mine, but without an accurate pic im lost

·
Registered
329 Posts
There might be some left over parts when your done. There is some parts in the kit for machines with auto connect decks, at least when I put the kit on x748 it had those parts with it.

If yours is the same kit as on my x475 its just the shaft with a bearing and holder with a yellow handle. Then a bracket bolts to the tractor, the bracket has a yellow spring loaded lock.

Slide the shaft thru the front axle and attach it to the pto on the transaxle. Then kinda roll the front bearing holder into the bracket and you should hear it snap in place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch. I need to not expect things to be straight forward. Some parts say they are for certain tractors only, mine not included. Since the latch plate wasnt one of then, ive spent i dont know how long trying to see what that pic showed from every angle underneath this thing. And since its the first step, my brain says i gotta do that before anything else. After looking at the rest with the bearing and shaft, it all makes sense how to install. I was also very confused why that valve was included until i asked on here, because it doesnt mention it anywhere. John Deere doesnt write stuff that someone with a brain that works odd like mine can understand! Thanks again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yours may be different but here is all the extra parts that are for tractors with a auto connect mow deck. This came with the kit for my X748.

The kit on my X475 I bought used so I'm unsure if you have to assemble the bearing and holder. All I had to do was bolt the bracket to the tractor and slide the shaft in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i got everything together and i put the blower on the quick hitch. The pto shaft seems about an inch too long to get hooked to the pto comin off the blower. I pushed the blower pto as far as i could, no dice. Does anyone have their tractor handy to see how much is sticking trhough that bearing assembly with the yellow handle???

·
Registered
329 Posts
Heres where it can get tricky.

Your tractor is a X744 right?

What quick hitch do you have? If you dont know can you post a picture of where the pins are that hold it to the tractor. The short shaft on the blower is specific to quick hitch style.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well I was thinking you had a 4-5 series quick hitch but I was wrong as your looks like a xseries hitch

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are there any adjustments that i can make to get me 1/2 inch? I went back through everything and i cant figure it out other than could the shaft be too long?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes there are different length shafts, the short shaft on the snowblower I mean. Do you know what tractor it was used on fir the previous owner?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you got me wondering-inside the quick hitch box i got an operators manual for x750,54 and 58 and some 900 series. Underneath the blower was a manual for a ton of tractors, to include the x744. This also said it was for the tractors the first manual was for. Do these tractors use a slighty longer pto? maybe i was sent the wrong one?

·
Shacker
754 Posts
I would double check that you have the long shaft locked in, in the rear dif. You should not be able to pull it forward when it's locked. As for your question regarding the a slightly different shaft, I believe (and I could be wrong), that they have been the same ever since the X4xx and/or X5xx series came out back in 2002.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well since the front is locked in through that bearing and bracket up front, i wouldnt be able to slide it would i?

·
Registered
329 Posts
From what I can tell it sure looks like you have everything correctly installed and I dont think there is any adjustment to correct your issue. Maybe your short shaft is too long. I recently had to get a new short shaft and if I recall its 14.5" long when compressed and 19.5" extended.

The other thing is maybe the aws models use a shorter front pto shaft (the one under the tractor). As far as I know they use the same front pto but you might want to double check with your dealer.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Try this for the shaft. Either connect it before you get it hooked up or push forward on the lower lever and lift the wheels off the ground. This might give you enough clearance to connect the shaft. If it does connect lift the blower as high as it will go with the lever and check to see that you still have some travel distance on the slip portion of the shaft. I would just connect the shaft before you lock the blower into the quick hitch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts