My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that can give me some ideas or show pictures to mount a 3,000 pound Harbor Freight winch on my Silverado 1500?

I will make one to set up in the rear with the class 5 hitch with no problems, but I cannot figure out a way to secure this thing in the front.

Thanks, Wilson

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
My first though is...what are you using a 3k on it for? That's not enough to pull that vehicle.
It depends on your front bumper....are you keeping stock bumper? If so, then I would personally make a receiver type hitch that hangs under it or get a factory hitch, cut it down to make it bolt up under frame, had a coworker did it to his Tahoe.
If you don't car about the bumper, then I would just mount a flat plate on top of it with a couple supports down under it and maybe to frame or where tow hooks mount.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,694 Posts
I think places like Northern Tool now sell FRONT mounted reciver hitches,for use with a winch,that way you can make a flat plate with a square tube that'll slide into the receiver,and remove it easily when you are not needing it to prevent theft..

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Cut a hole big enough for a roller fairlead and make a little mount behind the bumper.. It SHOULD.. Not saying it will.. It SHOULD fit behind that bumper.. 3000 lb winch is small.. I'm curious as to your use for it also.. being its 3000 lbs worth and your truck is 5000 give or take a few burgers..

·
Registered
50 Posts
+1 for a receiver mount. If you leave the winch outside of the vehicle all the time, road grime will eat it up. What year truck?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts