My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started using my loader equipped L4610 for brush hogging a couple weeks ago. MUCH more user friendly and convenient than my Ford 9n. Problem is that front end loader. Makes me think I can go anywhere and do anything. Push down little trees, autumn olive, small piles of brush, etc. Of course, that abuse inevitably leads to damage to the tractor, especially the front end. Sure, there's a grill guard - an extremely stout grill guard at that. Problem is the huge open spaces in between the steel uprights and cross members. Like what could be measured in square feet. As such, my headlight lens is broken, the prominent orange metal grill and mesh are getting all bent up, and the lower grey plastic one with metal screen is fully smashed.

Last week, I took the lower plastic piece off, glued it all back together, removed/straightened/reinstalled the sceen, and reinstalled it on the tractor. It actually looked pretty darn good. Flash forward to today. About a half hour of what I considered mild abuse, and the lower grill is once again shattered. I don't know if I can fix it this time.

Granted, this is all self inflicted. The plastic and thin metal parts on the front end aren't very robust, but then again, I'm using it beyond its intended means. It isn't a bulldozer. It isn't indestructible. Just because I CAN do this kind of work doesn't mean I SHOULD. I was going to weld more guarding across the grill guard - more stout slats and a piece of good heavy expanded metal. Of course, I never did, and now here I am with broken parts yet again. Will I ever learn?

·
Registered
125 Posts
That depends. If you’re like me, it usually takes 3 - 5 lessons before I finally learn that 1 or 6 of the other jobs I get sidetracked on (which may or may not get finished either) can wait while I do what I should have done or not done whenever I did or didn’t do whatever it was that I should have done or not done when I did what I did or didn’t do. You can tell I get sidetracked easily.

·
Administrator
16,727 Posts
Engineers don't go by what should and shouldn't be used on a tractor but rather what works for the average owner. Like Ted said he was using it in ways it was never meant to be used. Plastic is used on a myriad of things from car bumpers to plastic guns. Should they? Probably not but in all fairness if they designed them for any conceivable use them we would all complain about I won't ever need that so why does it cost so much. Ted, feel you pain, many of us have been in the same boat. (to some extent) Get out the welder, beef that puppy up and... don't forget pictures. Both the build and the ACTION.
MikeC

·
Professional Homeowner
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engineers don't go by what should and shouldn't be used on a tractor but rather what works for the average owner. Like Ted said he was using it in ways it was never meant to be used. Plastic is used on a myriad of things from car bumpers to plastic guns. Should they? Probably not but in all fairness if they designed them for any conceivable use them we would all complain about I won't ever need that so why does it cost so much. Ted, feel you pain, many of us have been in the same boat. (to some extent) Get out the welder, beef that puppy up and... don't forget pictures. Both the build and the ACTION.
MikeC
I should have taken action video yesterday... Case and point of abuse.

(Back story) - My big stupid brush pile I inherited with our new property needed taken care of. FD said a stern "NO" to burning it all at once. I worked on burning it for like 3 weeks off and on, pulling pieces off little by little. I kept moving the fire, and eventually ended u Couple weeks ago they kindly showed up to put it out after someone complained of an "unattended grass fire." It was literally down pouring 3 hours earlier, which darn near put it out. Had to rekindle it. Geez... Stepped away for like a few minutes to grab a drink at the house and take a quick shower before dinner, and met them in the process of putting it out (which I had gone back out there to do.)

Anyways, so now that I can't (can but probably shouldn't) burn it, I dig down through the remainder with the clamp on forks. Might be poking at that grill a little. I fish out all the big chunks, go and hide them somewhere else to burn them, not anywhere anyone can see it this time. When all that was left was sticks 2" and under, engage the brush hog, and commence to chipping up the remainder. Loudly. Stuff flying everywhere. Found a couple big chunks I missed. Some of those even got chipped up before I could raise the hog. Like I said... Blatent abuse, but it's kind of an old junky hog, and it's only 5' (need to upgrade to 7' for this beast). If it breaks, it breaks, but it didn't. Like I said - it's abuse.

Today I had to fix my 84" snowblower - also abuse but not as blatent. While making nearly 1,000 trips to and from my sand pit a couple hundred yards away, it basically served as a counterweight for about 50 hours. Shook it around so much the discharge chute broke off. About 2-3 months later, I finally weld it back on today.

Must stop this abuse!

P.S. - a brush hog is an incredibly tough piece of equipment!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts