My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaned my riding mower to my neighbor. Got it back with smashed deck. Motor was still good so slapped it on old riding mower frame. Replaced 12.5 hp b&s with 17.5 b&s = lots of fun. Now I want to turn my old mower into a yard mule. Need opinions, advice, and ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trashed a Troy bilt pony. Wasn't his fault. I let grass sit on the deck and it rusted out. Could have just as easily went out on me. Put the motor in a Murray and ot cuts like a dream. Now I have a have a good frame with no motor. Want to make a yard tow mower. Wondering since I'm not cutting grassanymore. Do I need a large motor or will lower hp motor work

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know anything about Troy Bilt and it might not be made for heavy pulling.
But I will say this,it don't take alot of hp to pull with a tractor.
My dad bought like a 1969 or 1970 Sears GT,and it came stock with a 7 hp Tecumseh and that thing would spin before it bogged down.He would move a 18' fiberglass tri-hull boat with it and it wouldn't strain.Of course that was on the driveway,I wouldn't try that on a hill.

I would think a 10hp or so would be fine,just don't ask me what brand because I don't know much about them.
My brother put a 10 hp Tecumseh on it several years back and it did just fine till he let it sit for years with gas still in it.

Glad to hear you didn't get all mad at the neighbor.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts