My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so past couple weeks i see the frogs have returned.... there has to be about 100 + frogs in my yard at all times. as i mow they appear ... hopping out the way of the front wheels. but there is so many ... i try to miss them but im sure ive chopped quite a few..... should i just not look down as i mow ?
i go pretty slow so they really should be able to get out of the way.. right!?!?

also i noticed a snake with blood on its head while mowing.... i guess he lived but didnt see him go under either.

now 2 weeks ago i almost hit a turtle with the push mower ... i picked him up showed the wife .. and the cat was following it around. eventually moved him to a little water puddle in my yard..... last week i found him about 500 ft from where i put him. i was mowing down some very high brush .. 2-3' in first gear (turtle speed) but apparently turtle speed is too fast for a turtle.
i thought i hit a stick .... nope... think i split him in half. everything was gone after a couple days when i went to check remains...
i did not mention this to the wife !

and then peacocks came in my yard .... ???
they stayed away from the mower tho :)

what does everyone else do about these critters ? avoid ? ignore ? search and destroy ?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Living things tend to get out of my way...esp turtles holy cow they can be a lot faster than you think.

^ It's things like this I have to worry about...that old wire 3/8 of an inch thick....ouch! And I pushed in the clutch right away too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I try to avoid the critters myself, one year I was mowing the lawn of the house next door (vacant during sale) and I hit a really big snake (4 plus feet and thick) snoozing in the grass - startled the heck out of me

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sometimes it is inevitable that you'll mow a critter. I mulched a baby bunny by accident once, and had to rake up the fluffy bits so the wife didn't find out.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I was cutting some really high "lawn" with a push mower set at max. height. I pulled the mower back and saw a box turtle sitting there apparently quite startled at having a mower go over him. I swear he RAN away, faster than any turtle I have ever seen move! I try to avoid most critters. Insects are on their own, but if I see anything else, I'll slow down or stop. At my mom's place the deer totally ignor me on the tractor and I have driven up as close as 6 feet away before they slowly wonder off.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
if i SEE a turtle or bird first, i will go around them. but the killdeere have a bad habit of hunkering down in taller grass to hide with the nest so soemtimes they go POOF. i hit a turtle earlier this year that was trying to lay her eggs. i used the gory remains as a lesson to my 4.5 year old daughter and her friend as to why thye coul dnot be out side while i was cutting. since then both will come in if the neighbor cranks up his mower!

ETA: snakes and rodents are on their own. if i see them i chase them down! my wife though i was a mad man running in circles last year. i was chasing down a snake and he would not "run" straight.

·
MTF Advertiser
289 Posts
We don't have so many frogs in our yard, but tons of toads. They take one hop off of the "path" of the mower every time you drive by. It is pretty ridiculous actually.

My boyfriend and I both try to avoid the critters. He would probably run over rodents (like mice and certainly moles or groundhogs given the opportunity), but I make him stay away from the toads, turtles, various lizards, and snakes.

I like those guys hanging around the yard eating spiders which I dislike. :)

Has anyone here heard of Tim Bedore (a comedian on the Bob & Tom Show). He has some interesting theories on an "animal conspiracy" (very funny stuff). Sounds like the animals are out to get you defcondaze!

Elizabeth

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I pretty well avoid all the critters in the yard but when I am using the shredder it is another story.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I am always on the lookout for toads to avoid. Not many frogs here but they too get the same consideration. Snakes on the other hand, I mulch up with my gator blades. They tend to just disappear.

I've never seen a turtle while mowing but would avoid it if I did.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I speed up and zig and zag for snakes.What ever it takes to get them I hate snakes.
I'll avoid snakes . I hate mice , rats and moles more. I'll chase them!
P.s. snakes freek me out. But I'm always the one that has to pick them up and move them to safty. For the wife.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I had a turtle stalking me two weeks ago. Mowed the neighbor's yard and moved the turtle. Two hours later, it's in my yard.

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts
I try to stay away from critters while mowing. But a few weeks ago I almost mulched the neighbor's cat! It jumped out of a bush right into the path of the mower!

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
When mowing for the Tollway, we always had to keep our eyes open for duck nests in the tall grass. We would just mow around them and leave them alone. The mothers would come back.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
I had a turtle stalking me two weeks ago. Mowed the neighbor's yard and moved the turtle. Two hours later, it's in my yard.
D-Dogg , I hope it was a female turtle !!! Bah hah hah ... :ROF :sorry1:

Later,x595

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
i see im not alone at all ! lol:trink39:
dont see these guys everyday so i took a picture
Whoa, I hear the dinner bell ringing!!! Back when I lived in the woods I had a neighbor who was an artist and his wife happened to be a gourmet cook who had published a cookbook on "odd game preparation". One day another neighbor's peacock didn't make the glide from the barn roof over the concrete sistern filled with water (baitfish storage)... That kind woman showed us the benefits of peacock adornment of a dinner table with no pretty feathers whatsoever! Way better than rattlesnake (because that tastes just like plain ol' chicken they say) and a whole bunch better than those tiny Cornish hen "junior chickens". We tried to think of ways to get the other 3 without the owners knowing but the word got out.:)

Try one, you'll like 'em!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
My uncle used to raise peacocks..and a friend had a bunch of them too..their neighbors HATED them!..they litteraly SCREAM just like a woman,crying "HELLLLPPPP",and until the neigbors learned it was just the peacoks,the cops paid many visits to their homes,for a "woman crying for help" call!..

I dont see many frogs here period anymore,though this year having been so wet and eainy,we have had a LOT of tree frogs,but they rarely go on the lawn I guess,cause I never see any..see a few spring peeper toads while mowing sometimes,I just let them hop away..but snakes I have no mercy for.especially the bigger ones that look like they might be a copperhead or rattler..I accelerate and swerve for snakes!..but dont catch up to them very often..I have only hit 1 in 30 years here,and probably only seen 10 maybe,while mowing or doing other chores around the yard..usually you must go searching to find a snake,like when your tearing down an old shed or moving piles of stuff is when one makes an appearance..

We had a box turtle here the first year we built the house,saw him after the foundation was dug,probably the backhoe destroyed his home!..he moved into the pile of dirt we dug out of the cellarhole in the backyard and lived there up until 2001 when the land was sold and they used the loam--but I still see it around once every few years,have not seen it for at least two now though--I have spotted in running away from the tractor more than once in past years,I know its the same turtle by the marks it had on its shell...I have seen a larger wood tortise a few times too,about the size of a center cap on a car rim..I dont want to hit them,turtles are not as common as they once were..and I have seen 2 "painted" turtles that are endangered species in my woods before when its swampy there..only turtles I do not care for are snapping turtles,after seeing what one did to a small girls arm when I was young!..

Guess I have been lucky because I rarely see any animals on the lawn when I mow..must be because I do it when its blazing hot in the middle of the day?..either that or they simply prefer the woods where my tractor cant go easily..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
turtles are surprisingly fast critters. The smaller snappers tend to be real fast. If need be I just tap them in the tail area of the shell with my foot and the lunge a few feet then a fast crawl.

Rodents and snakes, on their own. In the lawn near the house I avoid rabbits. In my 6 acre field where there are 4 gardens, the rabbits better get out of my way. If I see a frog I stop for it, if its in my path. Most often they seem smart enough to move, 2 inches outside ofr your mowing path.

Coyotes and deer don't seem to care at all that I am there. They watch me, and just casually leave the area.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whoa, I hear the dinner bell ringing!!! Back when I lived in the woods I had a neighbor who was an artist and his wife happened to be a gourmet cook who had published a cookbook on "odd game preparation". One day another neighbor's peacock didn't make the glide from the barn roof over the concrete sistern filled with water (baitfish storage)... That kind woman showed us the benefits of peacock adornment of a dinner table with no pretty feathers whatsoever! Way better than rattlesnake (because that tastes just like plain ol' chicken they say) and a whole bunch better than those tiny Cornish hen "junior chickens". We tried to think of ways to get the other 3 without the owners knowing but the word got out.:)

Try one, you'll like 'em!
lol, i guess they had escaped from someones pen. my neighbor was outside "watching" them ... she had gotten in contact with the owner somehow and said he was on the way....i asked her how long shes been waiting, she said 3 hours !
i told her to make sure to give him the bill when he arrives :thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 28 Posts