My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a k301 that sat for a long time that looks like it has very low hours with very good bore, still has the hone marks in the whole cylinder, but had a bad stuck exhaust valve. I want to tear it down to check everything out. kohler rings are $74 + gaskets I can buy a whole rebuild kit off ebay for under $100

would the low hour kohler parts with new rings be better than all new stens parts?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Free up the valve, run it and see what happens. There is no need to spend the bucks for a re-ring unless it has low compression or burns a lot of oil. I would not even pull the piston, as the rings would then have to reseat in a different position. Check the rod big end and crank journal, but don't take out the piston.
tom

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i would think, but can't say for sure. never use stens parts. surely cheaper, no?
youre teh 1st I have ever heard say that about Stens parts. I am about to find out for myself as I just rebuilt a B&S (complete as in borejob, crank cut down etc) with a mix of Stens Rotary and OE parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts