My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mid 60's (?) Yardman. It is TINY, my knees are almost over the front of it when I sit on it. It's only missing the gas tank and the battery cover. I have "plans" for this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice clean little yard man. For the age it looks pretty good shape :thThumbsU
I can't help but feel sad when I come across these things in the local junkyard. I feel the need to save them from the crusher.

·
Farm Show
5,382 Posts
Neat little tractor mower! Good save man!:trink39:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
That looks a lot like the '78 MTD my dad got from Montgomery-Wards ,that had their name on it....I had the battery cover for it somewhere,we put a car battery in it when we got tired of replacing the dinky one every year,and after I sold the tractor ,I found that cover (it was left off cause it wouldn't fit with a larger battery in it)--and a few other parts we had for it (oops!)...if I come across it,I'll let you know!...

I had a few Sears riders like that one too,that had the same diamond tread studded rear tires,and a 3 speed "box" tranny..I saved them from the crusher,but found it very hard to sell them,I couldn't get 35 bucks for them at a yard sale,after spending twice that to get a new carb for one and fixing them both up enough to get them useable to mow with..I ended up scrapping them both,I kinda wish I hadn't,but I had at least 15 tractors in the yard,and my father and neighbors were unhappy about that.,so I got rid of them...

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
That looks a lot like the '78 MTD my dad got from Montgomery-Wards ,that had their name on it....I had the battery cover for it somewhere,we put a car battery in it when we got tired of replacing the dinky one every year,and after I sold the tractor ,I found that cover (it was left off cause it wouldn't fit with a larger battery in it)--and a few other parts we had for it (oops!)...if I come across it,I'll let you know!...

I had a few Sears riders like that one too,that had the same diamond tread studded rear tires,and a 3 speed "box" tranny..I saved them from the crusher,but found it very hard to sell them,I couldn't get 35 bucks for them at a yard sale,after spending twice that to get a new carb for one and fixing them both up enough to get them useable to mow with..I ended up scrapping them both,I kinda wish I hadn't,but I had at least 15 tractors in the yard,and my father and neighbors were unhappy about that.,so I got rid of them...
I have a complete in very good condition 77 Wards Farm & Garden catalog. It was given to me by a guy I got an old Wards snowblower from.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
I think you should repaint it to look like a mini Pennsylvania Panzer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well this went from stupid to ridiculous fast.

I tried to get the original motor running. It has good compression, and turns, but someone robbed half the carb off of it since I first spotted it at EZ Pull, so I pulled it. I'll hang onto it in case I want to go full on concours restoration later on. Barret Jackson style.

Here is it's new motor.

I have a bit more of a clearance issue than I anticipated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would think there is a good supply of used 8HP briggs carbs to put on the original motor.
Yeah, for now though I'll have some fun with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Worked on it a bit tonight. The engine almost fits now.

Took off more stuff I'm not going to need. Right after this picture I hammered off that tray on the "firewall".

Turned the motor around, and re-drilled the holes. Engine fits nice now. Just need to address the height problem yet.

Too bad I'm out of gas for my welder, kind of hinders the fab I can do until I can pick up another tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turning the engine around kind of made the exhaust a bit tricky. I'm thinking I'm going to run it along the running boards on both sides. I have a bunch of 1.5'' mandrel pipe I can make it out of.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
what about running pipes down and under and dumping out the back?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was thinking about that too. I have to wait until the engine is final mounted before I can run it, and I want to pull the skins off and paint them orange to match the tractor and make it look more "factory".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.