My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I noticed tonight that my little 160 was coughing and farting and popping at WOT without the mower engaged.... So when I brought it back into the garage, I took it down to idle, and it died. Checked the idle speed screw on the carb, and it had loosened all the way out... So, I ran it back in until Littletractor was running at 1350 rpm (the recommended idle in the tech manual), then brought it up to WOT.... It STILL popped and coughed, so I backed it off to idle and diddled with the idle speed mix screw again. Ran it all the way out, then all the way back in, then out until I hit that sweet spot of higher RPM and smooth running (about 1550 RPM) and readjusted the idle speed screw back down to 1350... After that, when I ran it up to WOT, TOTALLY smooth, no pops or coughs at all.... Music to my ears! The question I have is, how often should you have to adjust the idle speed mix? I mean, obviously, you NEED to adjust it when things are running bad, but it seems mine drops out of adjustment over time... Anyone run into this on a regular basis? Do you think that having the idle speed screw shake out like that helped to misadjust my mixture?

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Idle/carb adjustment periods on my Kawasakis:
160: never
175: never
180: never
185: never

Is it possible you're missing the spring on the screw shaft that is supposed to hold the screw setting? Or if you have still the spring it may be weak.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
With time and the heat from engine the retainer spring can come loose, you just have to stretch the spring a little.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts