My Tractor Forum banner

Freewheeling issue

843 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Blunatic 
#1 · (Edited)
I am back to working on the "Franken tuber",
I got it running and parked it for a while until I had time to play with it further.

When I brought it home, it died and wouldn't move... literally!
I knew it had a free wheel lever, pin, something to be able to at least push it around.
Originally, what I found is someone had welded the pin on the Rear axle hub right side.
It's been rainy and dark outside and I just put it off until I got a good day.

Finally...
I took the wheel off and discovered that there is a much bigger issue.
I m not sure what happened to this old tractor but it wasnt good.
the whole hub has been welded along with the pin.
The only way to freewheel now is to remove the wheel pull the hub and remove the axle key.
Pics below...

To repair this, I need a donor but I dont even know what tractor I have, except that its a tuber and its a hi/lo 3 speed.. the engine is not original so that wont help either.

The hub has casting numbers.
Im hoping someone here can help me figure out a suitable donor model # that would have the correct parts so I know, at least, what other Tractors have the same hub.
Will any 3 speed tuber have the same axle hub or do they have all different freewheel setups?
Any help would be appreciated.

Fyi...
The last 2 pics show all the welding and what appears to be a broken area where the release pin should operate. 2 of the other pics show the casting #s

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I am sure someone here can find you a used drive hub if that is what you want. If you want a new 6 speed STEEL drive hub that will never break go to mrdadsr@aol.com. The black is a new FMC Bolens cast iron one, the gray primer ones are steel replacement ones. View attachment 2507774
sorry, I replied to the thread instead of your post,...see my post above

#3 ·
Im going to need all 3 parts, if im correct, the part you have pictured, the pin and the wheel mounting plate?
Mine is a welded mess so Im guessing there are 3
Haha.
What do those new ones cost? This tractor is on a budget and looking for a new home .)

#7 ·
A cracked keyway too, ouch.

They call that a six speed tuber, not a three. I think your best bet would be to find a parts tractor locally. Any drive collar & hub from a 1000, 1050, 1053, 1054, 1220, 1253, 1254, G-12 (1255) or G-14 (1453) will work. I've seen and purchased several drive collars on eBay, but they aren't typically cheap.

#8 ·
Thank you!
This is the info I was hoping for, this is my first shifter trans. bolens, I've always had hydros in the past.
I had no idea which models may be possible donors. Especially since Im not sure what this one is.. (guessing its a 1050)
Now I have a good idea what to look for.. I didn't want to buy new unless I had to, I dont want to get too deep in this one and I see ads on Craigslist for non runners and parts all the time.
Thanks for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.