My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
After getting the engine out and the starter off, I thought I'd call it a day, but it was not to be. I was re-energized when I went to give my young chickens water because to do that I need to go through the run for my big chickens and my older rooster decided I posed some kind of threat and came at me. I booted him away, but he tried it two more times! He lost, but my adrenaline level went up! I had to do something to use that up, so I pushed the Ariens out to the side of the garage and pressure washed the frame. I would have done the engine too, but didn't feel like I wanted to carry it that far.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Its only 75 lbs.. Got the first fan from Ariens and need to get an other for the GT19 that looks like yours. Will more than likely get it from Jacks.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
By the time it was out it felt a lot heavier than that. lol.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Oh, if it had p.o.ed me, it would have easily been out the door. lol

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
So, I just ordered a new hydro fan for this tractor. I also brought home a can of Duplicolor Chevy engine orange paint today. Tomorrow (if I can get away with it) I plan to take the time to take the seat pan off and start the process of sanding, filling, painting necessary to make this thing pretty again.
In a few days I'll be ordering a new starter, but I'm in no hurry because I want to get the painting done first (otherwise my impatience will kick in and I'll just put this thing back together without regard for the appearance.)

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I had my starter rebuilt at a local shop. Only cost $40 instead of the $400 for a new one. Biggest problem I have had is the previous owners lack of servicing of the starter drive and it not engaging the flywheel. Some white lithium every year or two does wonders.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm not a 100% purist on the color,and I get the Duplicolor at a discount,and it doeslook very close to me,so I'm happy.
I'm planning to order a starter on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So, I ordered a starter from an Amazon seller that was listed for a Kohler M18 and it came today. However, it's an inch too long and will not install. Does anyone know the part # for the starter that is approximately 9 inches long with the terminal on the end cap?

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Your a week and one half to late and I have no intentions of pulling the starter to find out. Kohler only shows the side terminal. I don't think it will clear the frame if it did fit the engine. But I will check the M19 to see what it has and report back.
On the M20 the little black cap on the drive end needs to be removed to get it to fit (front terminal starter). Once installed just snap it back on. Other wise it will not clear the front engine mounting pad or clear the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The one that came off this thing (which I would expect was the original) was much shorter and had the terminal coming out the back cover. I have wondered if a side terminal one fits though.
My thing today is...I think I'd almost kill to have sandblasting capabilities here! This machine has surface rust which would be easy to clean off with sandblasting but will be a bear to sand off. I've a coworker who has sandblasting stuff, but I hate to ask him to do everything for me.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Did not get a good look at the GT19 but it looks also like a front post. Still think just having your original gone threw is the way to go. Any good automotive electrical shop should be able to do it and you know it fits.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
This would be true, except that there are broken wires in the armature that I can see and the bushing in the end cap is so worn that it has worn into the end cap> I don't think it could be repaired around here at all.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
the magnets seem pretty strong to me. Maybe I should take a look around for a rebuilder.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I got my trusty multimeter out today and checked the armature...it is shorted out. It would need rewinding for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Well, well, well, I have taken several alternators to an electrical motor shop and have always been pleased, saved quite a bit of money also.

I had forgot about your GT18, still like the machine and I hope you get it going.

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I had forgot about your GT18, still like the machine and I hope you get it going.

CCMoe
Me too! The deck is junk,but the rest of the tractor is in decent shape...I'd like to do a "mostly resto" to this thing.I can see the potential for it being a favorite. I'm still bugged by the frame color though...it looks at least asmuch brown as it does black.I even had my wife look at it tonight and she thinks it's avery dark brown. However,I can't find and OEM info about the paint.I think I'll try seeing if someone can color match a chip.

61 - 80 of 315 Posts