My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 315 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
So, did you put the GT18 in the garage for the winter?

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I did.. unless i get it running and find a plow for it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I actually took a few minutes today to try to determine the starter issue with the Ariens. I put a battery in and and turned the key (sitting in the seat with both neutralizer and brake pedals depressed) and got nothing. One headlight was working and when I turned the key to "start" that light went out. Decided to poke around a bit and discovered that the positive cable was very loose on the solenoid, so loose it was basically just sitting on the post. I tightened it up and used a screwdriver from that terminal nut to the started cable side and the starter immediately made a noise like stirring bolts in a metal bucket. Horrible noise! I then decided to pull the starter, and quickly found that I don't know where it is, or how to access and remove it. Could someone of you Kohler guys help me out here, please?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thank you... I think that will be very helpful many times during this project so I'm printing it out right now.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
You are at least going to have to remove the shields from the left side. The main side shield will not be completely removable with out removing the engine. Just pull it out of the way as much as possible. The starter is supposed to be accessible and removable.

I ended up pulling the engine to get the starter out. It just would not clear the frame on the GT20. Identical engine blocks and frame.

Anyway you should be able to see what the starter drive is doing without removing the starter. It maybe as simple as lubricating the drive (part of the 500 hour service) with white lithium grease "in spray can". For some reason when the starter drive needs lubrication it will hang up and not engage the flywheel at all or not completely. The not completely would be my guess I your case.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Thank you... I think that will be very helpful many times during this project so I'm printing it out right now.
You're welcome.

I'm along for the ride on this one, I think that is a well built tractor.

I don't see a lot of the tractors around here, I don't know if it is that Moline is an hour and a half to the north of me. I see a lot of JD, Cub Cadet, Case, Craftsmen, some Coast to Coast as we had a CtoC hardware store that switched to ACE a few years ago.

I don't see many Wheel Horse, Bolens, Ariens, Gravely, etc.

There were a lot of Lawn Boys around here also since OMC was in Galesburg, many of those have succumbed to Ethanol fuel as has many small engines.

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It looks like I'll need to lift the motor up a bit and remove the shrouds to access the starter. That's all ok with me if I need to do it... I can make sure all the cooling fins are clean, and maybe even repaint the shrouds.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You're welcome.

I'm along for the ride on this one, I think that is a well built tractor.

I don't see a lot of the tractors around here, I don't know if it is that Moline is an hour and a half to the north of me. I see a lot of JD, Cub Cadet, Case, Craftsmen, some Coast to Coast as we had a CtoC hardware store that switched to ACE a few years ago.

I don't see many Wheel Horse, Bolens, Ariens, Gravely, etc.
ite a few Ariens
There were a lot of Lawn Boys around here also since OMC was in Galesburg, many of those have succumbed to Ethanol fuel as has many small engines.

CCMoe
It looks like a well-built machine to me, about the only recurring comment I hear on them is the weak drive on the starter. I asked the PO if he remembered what the issue with the starter was, but he did not. When I finally got the starter powered up today it's very obvious that the starter is a mess. I am now hoping that the flywheel is not damaged but I guess time will tell. It does seem like there is still quite a few Ariens up this way.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Remove the front pto belts, screen on bottom of frame and four engine bolts. I would also disconnect the drive shaft on the engine side. Maybe the throttle and choke cables. But if you are lifting it that far the front grill will need to be removed also. Hope your hands like confined areas.

I don't have the hours on mine since the last starter service but the engine needs to come out for a front seal replacement. This would be a good time for some preventive starter maintenance.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Remove the front pto belts, screen on bottom of frame and four engine bolts. I would also disconnect the drive shaft on the engine side. Maybe the throttle and choke cables. But if you are lifting it that far the front grill will need to be removed also. Hope your hands like confined areas.

I don't have the hours on mine since the last starter service but the engine needs to come out for a front seal replacement. This would be a good time for some preventive starter maintenance.
I removed the front grille tonight with no problem thanks to a long extension and u-joint. Without either of those, it would have been a bear. I also got the left tin loose (but broke two small bolts) and found a huge mouse nest. I can see the end of the starter now at least. I think in light of the mouse nest and my desire to clean the motor I'll pull the motor. It seems like that might even be faster than dubbing around trying to avoid that.

I would have snapped a few pictures but my phone battery was down to 8%.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yep, I've got a Monitor M441 kerosene heater and, until it gets 55ish I run two electric heaters. It gets up to about 58 in a few hours. That's plenty warm enough for working and not so warm it slows me down. When I get it insulated and a ceiling in it the Monitor will be plenty, and will kick into lower modes and my fuel will last a lot longer too.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, winter has come and gone, and I've made zero progress on this machine. It got pushed to the back of the garage and I just never worked on it. I had to move it out of the corner the other day to make room for my new "gym" so it's back in the way again, so...
Tonight I started taking another look at it but it got too dark to see well enough to get much done. I did clean out a lot of mouse or chipmunk nest, and sprayed some PB Blaster around, but that was about it. I'm hopeful that tomorrow I can get the motor out, but I also want to try to mount an old plow to the White GT-1650, so we'll see what I really do get done.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Some progress tonight...but not a whole lot. I did get one engine mounting bolt out (left front) but the rear one on that side appears to have a nut on the engine side that is just turning wit the bolt and I can't see it to figure out how to hold it. I also found much more of that huge "nest" and can say it's not a mouse nest...a chipmunk filled all the space up in and around the flywheel and starter. I also took off the front pto belts and determined for sure that the engine is not stuck. I ran out of patience so I hit my treadmill for a few minutes and came in the house. My wife is not home tomorrow, so I'll get some time during the day to keep working on getting that engine lifted out of there.
And, I did get that plow mounted on the White the other day and that old thing can push quite a lot of dirt and crap. I ended up not being able to back up after I worked for quite a while, and I don't know what that issue is, but I'm hoping a fluid and filter change fixes it.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
I wedge a large screw driver between the nut and engine frame. The frame on the rear holes allow the bolts to come out the frame without removing them completely. I have also gotten to the rear nuts by taking the steering console loose and getting to them from the back. That may not be practical with manual steering.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Worse case, you cut the head off the bolt...
Not an unlikely event... it might even happen to the remaining three bolts. Two just turn and one has a very rusted head that doesn't seem to be a hex anymore.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, I didn't end up cutting any bolts. I was able to get a wrench in the provided slots in the frame and held them while unscrewing the bolt. Also got the starter out, which I thought maybe I could fix, except the front bushing is worn out so the shaft can move sideways about 1/8th inch. Time for a new one.
It's also time for a hydro cooling fan if I can find one...mine has less only one complete blade, and less than 1/2 of a second one.
Also found a whole lot more "chipmunk junk" behind the shroud around the flywheel...

Attachments

41 - 60 of 315 Posts