My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did notice one other thing... the fan for the hydro that is one the driveshaft is missing two blades. That doesn't look like a whole lot of fun to replace.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
To release the hydro pull the lever up. As far as the loader and the hydro line pressure - that's a negative. That looks like a manual steer model or did I miss the steering cylinder?
What is the starter not doing? The starter drives need to be cleaned and lubricated ever 500 hours.
Also the fan is not as bad to replace as it looks. I need to replace the one on the GT19. Just another thing to do before the fuel tank goes back in. Unless you are working it hard 2 blades should keep it cool.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't know if it's power steering or not,I haven't looked at it that closely yet. it's still on the trailer so its hard to see under it. I do suspect that it is not though.
Thanks for answering my freewheel question, the manual i downloaded is not very clear about that.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I also don't know what the starter is doing. The PO just said he parked it a long time ago because it needed a starter. HopefullyI can get a battery in it tonight and give it a try shoo i can see what out does.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
On the right side off the tractor just below the battery box on the frame there should be a series number starting with 9310**. The last two number identify which tractor of that group you have. There were about 4 different GT18's manufactured. If you can find that number I will post the spec. sheet for you.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Sorry could not read the numbers on the posted picture. Anyway you have a keeper especially if it has the optional rear pto. Has it got the 60" or the 48" deck. Either should work fine. I have had the 60" under the 16 in tall thick grass you just move slower.

Anyway here is the spec. sheet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the spec sheet... it's vey helpful. This tractor does have the rear pto. I was excited tho get it initially, even more so now.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The deck is a 48 and, as nice as it would be to have, I'm glad it's not a 60 because that would not have fit through the gate on my trailer.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't work Wednesdays so I've been looking forward to working on this tractor tomorrow...wouldn't you know it snowed three inches and the rained a lot today and tomorrow is going to a windy mid-20's, and the tractor is outside with no room in my garage at all. I'm bumming.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
You live in Maine, get the L.L. Bean gear on and get outside!

Seriously, looks like you scored really well on this one, the Ariens looks to be pretty well built. Rear PTO, now if the power steering is there, worth every penny hauling it home.

These finds don't come my way.

Years ago, I was working on a house across the county and had passed a Cub Cadet 1720 sitting in a yard and had been mowed around for some time. I stopped one day and tried to raise someone, nobody answered the door so I left a note stating that I was interested in the 1720 for a parts mower. Never heard anything, maybe my note is still on the mower!

Good luck with the Ariens and looking forward to see how things go.

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
According to the spec sheet, this model has "hydraulic" steering. I hope it does!
The haul home was very expensive.... my truck gets around 15 mpg, most recent gas purchase was $2.69 per gallon... 3 miles away x2
=6 miles, so roughly 1/3rd gallon...rounded up, 90 cents, almost makes up for the $50 trip to get a hood that I paid $60 for last month.
My insulated coveralls will get lots of use this winter. I don't want to break them out this early, so I'm going to make the best of the cold day and go visit my son's family in NH tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
It looks like we may need to start a GoFundMe page for expenses!

I bought a new 28" Ariens snowblower with two year free financing, paid it off and have not used it yet!

We did get a couple inches of snow the other day but the ground was warm and it only stuck on grass areas.

Enjoy your trip to NH.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
And since you got such a great deal on the GT18 and by chance you need to repower.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER-SHORT-BLOCK-8252230-MV16-MV18-new-quantity/223218984376?epid=1813009379&hash=item33f8e365b8:g:l3MAAOSwpdpVd0XH:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!61422!US!-1

Better get it coming your way!

I don't know if the mufflers on the GT18/Kohler MV18 are the same as on my Cub Cadet 1720, they are $180.00 each, $360.00 for a pair if you can find them. I've been down that road once at a reduced price trolling them on eBay.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Glad to hear I am not the only one in the freezer. The coveralls have even been dug out. The Kohler M18 on your tractor is the same design as the M20 on my GT20. It used 2 starter designs. The engine manual for maintenance and repair can be downloaded from the Kohler website.

I know guys that have parked their Harleys in the living room for winter disassemble repair and polishing. My wife would never let me pull one of the GTs in. But when the three boys were still home we had Jeep and car part stored all over the house but never a complete vehicle.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Glad to hear I am not the only one in the freezer. The coveralls have even been dug out.

Here in Western Illinois, it is suppose to be in the teens tonight, it's a little early for that @#$%^&*

I think the exhaust is different on the GT18, appears to be routed out the upper right hood. The 1720 are a pair of pancakes, dual exhaust!!

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
The M18 is a opposed twin and not a V. Some one posted the new muffler for a GT20 not long ago with pictures. It maybe in the Ariens form section. If a hole was put on the left side duals would not be that hard to install. When it comes time to replace mine I am thinking a new exterior case with the guts from the existing.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sorry could not read the numbers on the posted picture. Anyway you have a keeper especially if it has the optional rear pto. Has it got the 60" or the 48" deck. Either should work fine. I have had the 60" under the 16 in tall thick grass you just move slower.

Anyway here is the spec. sheet.
I was just looking at the spec sheet again and noticed that it is page 1 of 10.... is this from a manual? Where might I get a copy of it if it is?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I got mine from Ariens. There is a repair and parts manual. Think they were $20 a piece. I did not know this site existed when I got my first Ariens but knew they were good tractors. If there is anything we can help you with just post in the Ariens tractor form.

If you get the manuals they will cover all the 931000 series tractors.

21 - 40 of 180 Posts