My Tractor Forum banner

301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
It does work best at higher pressure, but it continues to work decently even when the compressor is constantly running. I'm sure the compressor is undersized, it's only a 2HP Speedaire I bought last year for the grand sum of $25. I'd love to have a big one that would maintain at least 8 cfm while running air tools, or this sandblaster, but one of those isn't close to being in the budget.
This combo will get the job done, even if it does take a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Done that way more times than I can count. Blast a little and let the compressor catch up.
I have a gas and an electric that will do 7.3 cfm @ 90 psi. ea. Next time I blast I am going to connect the two together and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
I always wanted to try ganging a couple of compressors together. At one time this past winter I had 4 of them here, but never did it. If I had bought this blaster then I might well have done that. My biggest issue is water in the air...wish I could figure out how to "dry" the air for low cost. If it wouldn't break the bank, I think a long run of copper tubing with a drop to collect the water might work, but again, it wouldn't be cheap. Then I wonder if a 50' coil of copper tubing submerged in ice water would be better. Amazon has the tubing for less than $70, so that might be doable.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
My line climbs 2 feet vertical from the compressor and runs 25 feet to a water separator with drier. I get very little water in the drier even in the summer time.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
I drained mine before I started and got a lot of water out, then drained it again in about 1/2 hour and got a lot of water, then drained it again when I quit, which was about another half hour and got a ton of water again. That's at the compressor of course, but I was getting water out of the blasting gun after just a few minutes both times.

·
Premium Member
7,954 Posts
I drained mine before I started and got a lot of water out, then drained it again in about 1/2 hour and got a lot of water, then drained it again when I quit, which was about another half hour and got a ton of water again. That's at the compressor of course, but I was getting water out of the blasting gun after just a few minutes both times.
Boyle's Law at work. The water in humid air will condense, but inside the compressor tank is high pressure, and pressure equals heat, so not as much of the water condenses out of the air in there. The spray gun is where the pressure drops, and a drop in pressure equals a drop in temperature, so it is much cooler inside the spray gun than inside the tank and so more water condenses there than in the tank. That difference in temperature between high and low pressure is why air conditioners and refrigerators work.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
I understand that. However, I think that cooling the air before it gets to the gun should cause moisture to drop out and be trapped, right?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Well, I'm probably out of excuses for not getting back to work on this tractor...... I bought a Harbor Freight 40lb sandblasting cabinet Friday. I put it together last night and this morning but still can't try it until at least tomorrow night because I put silicone caulking on the seams and that stuff need 24 hours to cure.
Hopefully it works ok with my small compressor and I can finally get the last few pieces blasted and painted. I just realized when I brought this thread up to add to it that next month will be two years since I started this project. Time to get it done!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
kklowell,

I have/had (loaned it out and they never brought it back) a 100 pound sand blaster that I hooked three 20/25 gallon air compressors together to sand blast plaster off brick interior walls of older buildings. It worked but I really needed a trailered compressor to run continually. I had a drier on it which helped but I'm sure it was to small.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Well, I'm probably out of excuses for not getting back to work on this tractor...... I bought a Harbor Freight 40lb sandblasting cabinet Friday. I put it together last night and this morning but still can't try it until at least tomorrow night because I put silicone caulking on the seams and that stuff need 24 hours to cure.
Hopefully it works ok with my small compressor and I can finally get the last few pieces blasted and painted. I just realized when I brought this thread up to add to it that next month will be two years since I started this project. Time to get it done!
I get the paint ready in 30 minutes silicone. Once it skins it should be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
31,969 Posts
You mean this wasn't supposed to be a "lifetime" project? :) We have a few of those on MTF.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
You mean this wasn't supposed to be a "lifetime" project? :) We have a few of those on MTF.
No, but many of my projects do take a long time to "finish" . (Is anything ever really finished?)

·
16,495 Posts
So that's what the 1348 I have in the cabinet was for. Its been there for years. I thought maybe it was for a car that is no longer here.
/////////////////////////////////

Hello there--I used a 1348 filter for years on my Scott's. Kohler command engine-Now I use it on my Focus now--with the 2.0L engine. Fits a lot of stuff out there-
glenn

301 - 315 of 315 Posts