My Tractor Forum banner

181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Ok...EIGHT months later and I haven't worked on this thing for even a minute until tonight. I found I have power going in to the ignition switch, but none coming out except when I turn the key to start, at which point it does feed power to the solenoid and cranks the engine over. I'm wondering if I can attach a 12v jumper to that center wire and have spark? I really want to hear this thing run...that will help me get motivated to actually work on it again.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Is that supposed to mean I've been sleeping on this project? 'Cause if that's what you mean, well, you hit the nail right on the head! I have the excuse of being very busy with the house and getting my woodworking shop going, mixed with a heavy dose of procrastination and basic fear of screwing this thing up.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Seriously though, I do need to take some time with a wiring diagram in hand and figure this thing out. The starter spins it at a good speed, but there isn't any hint of a spark.Working on it for the few moments tonight showed me that the ignition switch is getting power, but except for the start terminal, it isn't going anywhere from there. It is a used switch though... maybe I should just start with a new one, as it seems to me that no power leaving the switch is a pretty good indication that my problem might be the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Not exactly but since you brought it up!

I hope you get it running as I'm also trying to get two of mine back going as well.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Seriously though, I do need to take some time with a wiring diagram in hand and figure this thing out. The starter spins it at a good speed, but there isn't any hint of a spark.Working on it for the few moments tonight showed me that the ignition switch is getting power, but except for the start terminal, it isn't going anywhere from there. It is a used switch though... maybe I should just start with a new one, as it seems to me that no power leaving the switch is a pretty good indication that my problem might be the switch.
I think you are on the right track, is it a common switch?

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Yeah, I want this one running so I can put the deck back on my Ford and just use that for mowing and this one can do the other yard work. I do have two that will be leaving though... one is a worn out little lawn tractor (Poulan Pro) and the other is a 1975 White Yard Boss ft-1650. I'd love to keep it and fix it up, but it has hydro problems...it won't move. I only paid $100 for it, so I'm thinking I might still get my money back.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I had to run back to the start of this post to recall just what it was that you were resurrecting. I really like that machine and it has great bones, well worth your efforts.

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I like it too, so I hope I can get it running and then remember how to put it all back together so I can see if it even drives. Hopefully, it'll be a really good tractor for me.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
If this is the GT18 I have found no common switch other than Arien's that will work. Found a few that will plug in but were not configured right. Sounds like The ignition side of the switch is gone.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
If this is the GT18 I have found no common switch other than Arien's that will work. Found a few that will plug in but were not configured right. Sounds like The ignition side of the switch is gone.
Hmmm.I guess I could test that by plugging the old switch back in (if I didn't toss ) it) and see if it runs then. Easy enough to jump power to the solenoid terminal to get it to crank over.
If it has spark then, I'll get an Ariens switch.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Could I just feed 12 volts to the ignition terminal/wire and crank it over to see if it then has spark?

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Could I just feed 12 volts to the ignition terminal/wire and crank it over to see if it then has spark?
Would have to look at the wiring diagram sometime when I am awake. A test light at the switch should confirm if it is getting power or not for both start and run. Really hope the ignition modular is not gone. These things fire both cylinders at the same time both compression and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Just my luck... the back of the switch isn't labeled at all. I don't know which wire is the ignition wire. Time for more digging I guess.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
It is the switch. I did enough looking to finally find the diagram for that switch in a GT and found that the 6th terminal has a yellow wire which feeds power to a relay and the ignition module. Hooked up a test lead to that wire, cranked it over and it started! I'll be ordering a new switch this evening.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
It is the switch. I did enough looking to finally find the diagram for that switch in a GT and found that the 6th terminal has a yellow wire which feeds power to a relay and the ignition module. Hooked up a test lead to that wire, cranked it over and it started! I'll be ordering a new switch this evening.
Good deal, did it sound good?

That is a lot better than several other options.

Thanks Ariens93GT20, this is the best place.

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Yes, it sounds great with no knocking or any other bad noises. I don't have a gas line and tank in it yet so I only ran it a few seconds on starting fluid. I will get those in soon and then likely find out the carb needs a serious cleaning.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
And, now the switch is ordered. Should be here by next Friday. Maybe I can find time to work on this enough by then to see if it moves when it runs.... or if I need a carb.... or if I forgot how to put it back together. LOL

181 - 200 of 223 Posts