My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a good thing my wife is going to be at her parents for at least another month. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up another tractor, which will be #4. It's a 1987 Ariens GT-18. All I know about it at this point is that it was parked when the starter went out, but was running except for that. I did stop on my way home tonight to get a quick look at it and it isn't as bad as the HT-16 that I sold last week, so there's hope I guess. The tires are all either very low or completely flat. So far, that's what I know. Pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
LOL, I've got three. Hard to hide when they are all different colors, yellow, orange and green.

Sounds like a new starter, some air and a change of fluids and it should be good to go, battery.........

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
The only way we can pull this off is if they are color blind!

CCMoe

·
2,796 Posts
My wife always seems to notice also when a different colored one shows up...and then she hits me with "you didn't think i was going to notice?"

I tried explaining by telling her that it followed me home ...but she didn't even believe that when a dog actually did follow me home...now I keep some at a friends farm upstate...so now it's a 400 mile round trip to go visit them

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to keep them someplace else... say 5 miles away. That 400-mile trip would seem a bit long to me.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's home. Does anyone know how to read this hour meter?

Attachments

·
Mr_TF_Guy
7 Posts
Looks like the Ariens is about 460 hours. Interestingly it looks like it resets at 600 hours so it could also be at 1060 hours. Or 1660. Or 2260...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd sooner believe the low hours as the guy i got it from told me he's the second owner and it was used for snow blowing only, so he thought it had really low hours.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I agree on low hours, it looks to clean to have a lot of hours. Looks like mother nature used it more than anyone else.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
To explain it, the yellow indicator goes with the yellow printed numbers, so that puts it between 420 and 480 hours.

The red and white indicators share the 0-59 printed numbers around the outside (as indicated by the alternating red/white printing), with the white indicator for hours and the red indicator for minutes because the white indicator is shorter than the red indicator. White indicator is at 46, and red indicator is at 54.

So, overall hours is:

420+46 = 466 hours, 54 minutes

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After spending a couple of hours on it I have found out that 1)the engine is not stuck and 2) all 4 tires hold air. Most of the time spent on it was getting leaves out of everywhere on it and a quick wash. After the wash, I can also add that the decals all look pretty good, including the sticker the dealer put on the hood.
Am I correct in assuming (I know, I know...) that because this model had an optional loader the hydraulic pump is a bit higher volume/pressure than a tractor that did not list that option?

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have a Kohler Magnum 18 in a Cub Cadet 1720, it keeps going although it has started getting warm and takes a break. I'm going to give it a carb job one of these days.

As for the valve, I can't help you there.

It sure did clean up, starters are reasonable for them. Looking forward to seeing what this needs to be back running.

CCMoe

1 - 20 of 180 Posts