My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Freebie craftsman LT 10HP 36" - i think from 1987. Cant figure out throttle linkage.

Hi all. My first real post. I grabbed a 1987 Craftsman LT 10HP 36" lawn tractor (917.254220) from a neighbor for free. It's in real nice shape.

After replacing the battery it cranked and actually ran, but not great. With added throttle it would backfire and not run very in general.

I pulled the carb and cleaned it. Now the problem, i failed to take pictures of it and now i can't seem to figure out how the throttle linkage attaches. i put it back together how i thought it goes but the throttle lever does nothing.

I'm not sure which of those the linkage goes on. i would imagine the left one in the pic. Also should the spring snap the butterflies open or closed?

I have attached some pics.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Re: Freebie craftsman LT 10HP 36" - i think from 1987. Cant figure out throttle linka

The OM has an exploded view which "might" be helpful-
Engine is a Tecumseh TVM220-157106H

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Freebie craftsman LT 10HP 36" - i think from 1987. Cant figure out throttle linka

The OM has an exploded view which "might" be helpful-
Engine is a Tecumseh TVM220-157106H
Thanks that was helpful. Now I have it installed correctly it seems.

Now just have to work out getting the throttle lever and linkage set up correctly. It is a bit out of wack. the butterfly doesn't start movng until the throttle lever is at about half throttle.

I was able to find a PDF of the service manual for this engine so hopefully I can get it set correctly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well i'm stuck again. The spring on the linkage doesn't seem right. It's not straight when the throttle is at 'slow' When it gets to about half way then its straight and will start opening the butterfly on the carb but that cant be right and im not sure how i would adjust this.

With throttle on 'slow'

With throttle as shown...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

well i think one of two governor springs may be stretched. can anyone confirm?

The bottom picture is of one of the two springs and appears to be stretched. It's the only explaination i can come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts