My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yesterday I put some 2.8 mm ends on the wires and attached them to the igniter. I confirmed that all the burners light and burn. I put the control panel cover and knobs on and called it a day. This morning I got a bucket of soapy water and a hose and started cleaning parts. I got it all back together except the cover for the bottom of the control panel, I think I'm going to leave it off. The pressure washing didn't do much for the staining on the stainless parts. I watched some videos that said not to use any abrasives but in the end I used some "Bar Keepers Friend" that my wife uses on the sink along with a fine Scotch brite pad. There may be more fine scratches but the large stains are gone.
I downloaded the owners manual to be sure about how to light all the burners. Indeed you have to turn them on and light them individually. This is less convenient than the old crossover tube setup on my Spirit.
I think this completes my cleanup and repair project. I'm going to use it awhile before I get rid of the old Spirit but eventually one of them will have to go. It's raining here so I just rolled the grill over to the garage door to take the pictures.
Thanks for the help and comments.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Wow, that looks great! Nice job, you're inspiring me to tackle mine.

Mike

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Mike. If you do yours I like to see a thread with some pictures.
Cannon

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I must be doing something wrong when cleaning them, because they are rusty with missing porcelain.

Mike

I agree, and if there is missing porcelain, it could be in your food.

I have had to replace the ones on my Weber Q series 3 times.:tango_face_sad:

Great grill the best I Have ever had for burgers and steaks. Most of the time that covers most things. I use Weber Smokey Mountains for big things, I have all three the 14", 18" & 22.5".

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Here are a few pics of mine, pretty much a basket case at this point. Should clean up well if I spend some time on it.

The burner tubes appear to be all one assembly, and that looks like it's in decent shape. Is there a way to clean it out so the flame works properly? Right now, the flames only come out on the far left end of the front and middle tube. The rear one works correctly.

Mike

Attachments

·
We're all friends here
13,838 Posts
Mike, your grill looks to be in pretty good shape on the exterior and the grids aren't bad. I don't know of a way to clean out the burner tubes. You can probably wire brush the flavorizer bars or just replace them. Replacement burners and bars are available from Weber. I doubt if both of those items would cost more than $175, and would make the grill like new. That grill costs about $600 new.

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
Here are a few pics of mine, pretty much a basket case at this point. Should clean up well if I spend some time on it.

The burner tubes appear to be all one assembly, and that looks like it's in decent shape. Is there a way to clean it out so the flame works properly? Right now, the flames only come out on the far left end of the front and middle tube. The rear one works correctly.

Mike
I called Weber once and was told you can clean the burner tubes, but use a soft wire brush and sweep side-to-side, not lengthwise down the tube.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Thanks guys.

The interior and parts MOST DEFINITELY look better in pics than in real life. The outside just needs a good cleaning, even the paint looks decent.

On the inside, there's lots of white deposits all over the interior. It's almost like someone dumped a bunch of road salt in there!

The grilles look awful, lots of rust.

The flavorizer bars are barely held together by rust. They literally crumbled in my hands.

One problem I have is that the ID label was placed in a bad spot, and got damaged somewhere along the line. I can read the serial number, but not the model number. The Weber site has a decoder tool, which didn't recognize my serial number. I tried contacting them, will have to wait for an email response.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Mike, The Spirit I have looked like that when I got it. I removed the rusted out bottom shelf and doors. Mine had a bad crossover tube but it just slides in and out of the burners. I think once you remove the manifold on the right side the crossover tube will slide out of the front and back burners and they can be removed for cleaning. The Weber forum recommends the flavorizer bars sold on ebay by rcplanebuyer, I've never delt with him but here's a link to his store. https://www.ebay.com/str/rcplanebuyer
Link to weber grill forum.

https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?91-Weber-Gas-Grills

I think that grill is worth saving, in some ways I prefer the grills with burners going side to side and using a crossover tube.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
It's definitely worth saving. I'm way too cheap to buy a new one!

This only gets used a handful of times per year. It only looks this bad because it's outdoors year round, and I haven't covered it in many years. I think it's a great testament to Weber that it hasn't rusted away completely.

I've never liked the porcelain grilles, though.

Mike

·
5,265 Posts
I have been following this thread and it inspired me to start cleaning my 2000 year model Weber Genesis Silver B. Spoke to Weber a few times for info and they were very helpful. After receiving their info on cleaning the burner tube I did find a crack in the center tube on mine so I ended up ordering a new burner assembly and at the same time I was able to get just the igniter box as I had repaired mine a while back with a custom surround and only needed the box and not the igniter button. Parts should be here in a few days. I also looked into the stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars from the eBay seller rcplanebuyer and was so impressed that I pulled the trigger and bought 2 grates and the bars. I will never have to worry about rusting again. Grill should be like new inside once done. Those stainless steel parts look to be very heavy duty and first rate quality. I will post a picture of the grill once I get all the new stuff installed. Bill

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Bill,

Be sure to post pics!!!

I plan to do exactly what you're doing.

Mike

·
5,265 Posts
I should have everything here by early next week and will post some pictures as soon as everything is installed. Bill

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looking forward to seeing the grill and getting your opinion on the ebay parts.
I picked up 2 stakes yesterday at the supermarket and tried out the Genesis. It took longer to get it heated up than it does my smaller Spirit and I ended up over cooking the steaks some. I cooked them over the Left, searing and center burners but i'm not sure that was right. I'm usually a little slow through any learning curve. Enjoy the 4th.
Cannon

·
5,265 Posts
Well started taking the Weber Genesis Silver B apart in anticipation of the parts arriving tomorrow. Removed the igniter box and then loosened the manifold so I could remove the burners. There are 2 sheet metal screws that hold the ends opposite the manifold. The front one came right out but I could not get the rear one loose. Tried to drill it out and had no luck so I drilled a new hole close to it and will modify the burner tube with an additional hole. Tapped the holes out to accept a hex bolt and will pick up a couple in stainless steel tomorrow. I am attaching a few pictures as I was taking the grill apart. It is 19 years old this month and I hope with a little luck and these new parts it will last another 19 years. At least the Stainless steel grates and stainless steel flavorizer bars should never have to be replaced again. I will post some additional pictures as soon as the new parts are installed along with my review of the grates and bars. Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
I picked up 2 stakes yesterday at the supermarket and tried out the Genesis. It took longer to get it heated up than it does my smaller Spirit and I ended up over cooking the steaks some. I cooked them over the Left, searing and center burners but i'm not sure that was right. I'm usually a little slow through any learning curve. Enjoy the 4th.
Cannon
When cooking rib eyes on the Genesis, I use the left and center burners. I put the burners on full for about 5 minutes (basically how long it takes me to prep the steaks with Montreal steak seasoning and steak dust) then reduce the flame to about half for cooking. Place the steaks between the two lit burners for indirect heat, sprinkle with Worcestershire and cook for 4-5 minutes a side for medium rare. Perfect!

Hindsight being 20/20, if I did it again I would buy the 310, not the 330. The sear burner on the 330 is a gimmick and about as useful as a brother in law, and the side burner takes 30 minutes to get to a simmering boil. That said the basic grill is top notch and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
I will post some additional pictures as soon as the new parts are installed along with my review of the grates and bars. Bill
Anxiously awaiting your pictures! That grill looks almost exactly like the 25 year old Weber I gave my son when I got my new one. A few years ago I had replaced the flavorizer bars with stainless, and the grates with cast iron. It's still going strong.

·
5,265 Posts
Well I received the grates and flavorizer bars via USPS today. Man are those grates HEAVY DUTY!! And the flavorizer bars will last forever. Now just waiting on the burner assembly and igniter so I can put everything together. Bill

Attachments

·
5,265 Posts
Alright, got the burner assembly and the igniter delivered and got the grill reassembled. Thoroughly impressed with the stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars. I know, compared to the steel grates and bars these are expensive BUT, I will never have to replace them again and I don't have to worry about the porcelain coming off and the grates and bars rusting. I would highly recommend these items from rcplanebuyer on eBay. Now I can't wait to try them out. Bill

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts