My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BIL is having an "Out With the Old, in With the New" spell this week. He got a new grill for fathers day and ask me if I wanted his old Weber Genesis. I went and got it this morning. It will replace the Spirit I got free a while back. The lighter is not working and it needs a general cleaning. He also has a Deere LA1?? lawn tractor with a dead K46 he says I can have. He's supposed to let me know when he gets stuff moved so we can get to it. God help me, I love junk.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Good deal, keep them coming.

·
5,618 Posts
I bought my Weber Genesis Silver B wayyyy back in 7/2000. Other than replacing the grates, flavorizor bars, warming rack, and thermometer and repairing the igniter it still looks and works great. No reason to replace it at this point. Clean that one up and enjoy it. Bill

·
We're all friends here
14,355 Posts
One nice feature of Weber grills is that parts are always available. You got a great grill.

·
We're all friends here
14,355 Posts
If you call Weber, I’m sure they will be happy to tell you where the wires go. They are good that way.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you call Weber, I’m sure they will be happy to tell you where the wires go. They are good that way.
You were right. Left to right on the burners Black, Green, Blue, Yellow.
A lady that looked it up for me was very helpful.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I have an old one too. My grandfather won it in a raffle, wouldn't use it, offered it to my sister who'd just bought a new one. So, he gave it to me (my old grill was a basket case hand-me-down).

I've probably owned it for at least a decade. Still works, but could definitely use new grilles, bars and burner tubes.

It had porcelain grilles, I'm thinking about changing to stainless steel.

Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have one just like that, except no side burner.

It's only a few years old, but it's in perfect shape and is a great grill. I wish I'd stepped up to Weber gas grill long ago. I have had one or two of their charcoal kettle grills in the past, and they're great too.

·
Joe
1,210 Posts
We got our Weber Genesis for $10 at a yard sale. Pressure washed at and it looked new. Had it for six years now and finally had to replace.the falvorizer bars. Got the SS bars.

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
I won't bore everyone with my "Weber customer service" story. Suffice to say they really stand behind their products.

I think you ended up with a better grill than your BIL, even if he got another Weber! I looked at the current Genesis models when they came out and rushed to my nearest retailer and got the previous model before they were gone. I think it is better designed and built heavier. One thing it falls short on is the side burner. It takes a half hour to boil water, and even then it just barely bubbles. We like our surf and turf, the ribeyes always come out perfect after we wait an hour for the lobsters to cook!

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
It had porcelain grilles, I'm thinking about changing to stainless steel.

Mike
Note that the porcelain coated cast iron grates hold heat better than stainless. I love mine. When it is time I will replace the porcelain flavorizer bars with stainless, but the cast iron grates will be fine when I'm dead.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Note that the porcelain coated cast iron grates hold heat better than stainless. I love mine. When it is time I will replace the porcelain flavorizer bars with stainless, but the cast iron grates will be fine when I'm dead.
I must be doing something wrong when cleaning them, because they are rusty with missing porcelain.

Mike

·
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I striped it down yesterday enough to put it on the truck and take it to the 25 cent car wash. I'll start cleaning parts and assembling it as soon as get a chance, were babysitting granddaughters two days this week. I added a picture of the Sprint I'm using now. It originally had a cabinet and doors but the bottom shelf was rusted out so bad one of the doors would not stay on. I removed the shelf and doors and put pieces of angle on the bottom. It's actually a better size for me than the Genesis but doesn't have the cast iron grates, searing burner or side burner that the Genesis has.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Can't wait to see your restoration!

I'm assuming that pic is stripped down, before washing?

Do you plan to paint it inside? Is that safe for food?

Mike

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The picture is after I washed it. It's more of a cleanup than a restoration. I mostly want to be sure I get all the mouse nest, dropping and urine removed. The only real repair is the ignitor wires that were chewed in two. I looked at a new Genesis yesterday, looks like Weber has deleted the cover under the controls. That keeps from creating a Cozy place for a nest.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Gotcha. Mine doesn't have anything under the controls, either. I've had wasp and yellow jacket nests, but no mice.

Mike

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This afternoon I cleaned up the burners and manifold. The original wires had color coded connectors but since I didn't have any of those I used the color wire or tape. I'm not sure why the color coding is necessary, I would think when you push the button they all spark. I put the manifold on after the picture was taken. O well, just a small amount of progress.
Cannon

Attachments

·
We're all friends here
14,355 Posts
That's a good question. The older models had one ignitor. The other burners ignited off the first one. I never had a problem with that setup. Seems they found it necessary to put ignitors on all the burners. If they don't light sequentially then they wouldn't need color coding.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts