My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the funeral home 2 days ago my brother in laws 89 year old father in law told me he had some stuff to give me if I wanted it. I went this morning and got a wheeled weedeater and a pressure washer. The weedeater was fairly easy to get running after putting gas in it and removing the wet air filter.
I got the pressure washer to run on carb cleaner and put some gas in the tank only to have it start running out through a crack. I think I have a push mower engine with the same tank I can swap out.
He said the pressure washer hadnt run in several years so I'll be supprised it the pump is still good.
2507434
cannon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,356 Posts
I hope you had water connected to the pump when you were running that pressure washer...it's my understanding they need the water to act as a lube for the various seals, which get quickly damaged if run without water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only ran long enough to use a shot of carb cleaner. I could never get it to run off the carb. I took it apart today and it may be the worst one I've ever seen. Looked like a hand full of granular fertilizer in the bowl. I broke the tit of the needle trying to get it out and the inlet barb was packed with tar. I dropped it in a gallon of Chemdip to soak. We'll see.
Cannon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,356 Posts
Seriously, even a few seconds of running the motor can kill the pump. It might not, but if you want to get it running as a pressure washer instead just ripping the engine off and throwing the rest away...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Sounds like you will need an ultrasonic cleaner and strong solution (like Yamalube Carb Cleaner. Solvents just don't get into the tiny passages of a carb without a bit of a push. Don't use compressed air to blow out the carb - you can destroy some parts of some carbs this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife and I went to Pensacola for 4 days that interrupted this project. When we got back I put an air filter in the trimmer and it seems to be fixed. I put the washer carb back in the Chemdip for another 24 hours but still couldn't get the needle to come out this morning. I agree that I need a better carb cleaning setup.
Cannon
 

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Joined
·
550 Posts
My wife and I went to Pensacola for 4 days that interrupted this project. When we got back I put an air filter in the trimmer and it seems to be fixed. I put the washer carb back in the Chemdip for another 24 hours but still couldn't get the needle to come out this morning. I agree that I need a better carb cleaning setup.
Cannon
The needle is stuck in the seat ..I hate when that happens I have gotten them out a few times but most times they brake when u grab them with pliers ....i I also found if they are that bad it's time for a new carb ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After another day of soaking I got the needle out of the carb this morning. I did brake the tit off but was able to grab it with needle nose pliers. The hole was full of white powder. It's back in the carb cleaner to soak before I remove the seat. I did remove the pump and put a shot of carb cleaner in the intake, the engine cranked and ran a few seconds. I'm still reluctant to spend money on this thing not knowing if the pump is good. I already have 2 pressure washers that work. I guess It Doesn't Have to Make Sense.
Cannon
2509223
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sold some parts to another forum member a few weeks ago and decided to use the proceeds like "Mad Money'. I ordered Chinese carbs for the pressure washer and a Deere LX176. Partstree showed the carb as #694505 but NA. Ebay had some with that number, they looked a little different but for $14 I ordered one anyway. I bolted the carb on, manually choked it and it fired up and ran good. I bolted the pump back on and hooked it up to water. It ran and pumped water with no sign of a leak in the pump. I blew out the hose and wand and installed them. This time there was a major leak in the wand handle. Used another wand and ran the washer long enough to start on my molded sidewalk. Engine died a few times and I discovered a clogged fuel cap vent. I cleaned the vent out and the washer ran good until I finished the sidewalk. I started putting the choke knob and filter housing on and the problems began. The old carb had a hole the new one did not have and the choke shaft was different. I tried changing the choke shafts but the old shaft was to big around to go in the carb. Now that I know the engine will run and that the pump is good I may try to rebuild the OE carb. I'll take the pump back off while I tinker with the engine. My other 2 washers have pumps that attach using the same bolts that hold the engine, this one bolts to the sump. That will make it impossible to swap engines, this is the only vertical engine I've ever had with the holes in the sump.
Cannon
2511480
2511481
2511482
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top