My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty pumped about my new acquisition. I was given a 1993 Sunstar 20. I had never even heard of a Sunstar before. Wow, this thing is so large. It's just calling out to have a snowblower attached to it.

As a result, I am in search of such a snowblower.

Can anybody tell me about their experiences with the snowblowers on these units (good or bad)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
You've got a great machine there. I have the Deutz Allis version, which is essentially the same machine. Mine came with the 2 stage snowblower and a plow. It really works quite well. If you can find one, you will be happy with hit. Great score!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. Might I borrow that snowblower?!!

Looking at the bracketry, I think any competent fabricator could adapt one from any front mount/pto driven blower. The tricky part would be the lift arm. You don't see them for sale very often. I was fortunate that my machine came with almost every attachment that they have except for the loader.

·
Learning the hard way
936 Posts
Very cool score!!! The 20 HP versions came with Differential lock and hi/lo transmission which yours clearly has. I thought the front exhaust models were earlier like maybe 87-90 not that it really matters much. Of course the hood is not the original since the decals are different than the tractor. Free is free so who cares!!!

·
4,210 Posts
You can look at tractordata TractorData.com Simplicity SunStar 20 tractor engine information and see the details for your machine...I do not see the decal inconstancy that was pointed out..but it does not matter.....and you will never need another tractor in your life if you take care of that baby....the power steering on that thing is a great feature ( only the 20 HP Sunstars had it, but not all of them)
The snowblower for that is 46" 2 stage...good luck finding one...hope you get one soon...if not plows for them seem readily available for anywhere from $50 to $200 around here in the northeast

·
Learning the hard way
936 Posts
Single stage blowers also available. Single stage blowers are much easier to find and some say they work better than a 2-stage. Singles don't throw as far but work well.

Correct hood on pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think that you might be amazed at how well that beast might plow snow...

My Johnny Plow on my Prestige 2wd:

·
4,210 Posts
Single stage blowers also available. Single stage blowers are much easier to find and some say they work better than a 2-stage. Singles don't throw as far but work well.

Correct hood on pic.
Tractor data only lists a 2 stage....but I have seen them list information like that before and then come across something else...the single stages actually do a better job of getting all the way down to the surface...2 stages always leave a thin layer of snow...either way ...happy seat time in that

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,548 Posts
I noticed in the video that the model number sticker is still on the left front of the frame. If the number is legible, it will be a great help in determining the correct parts for the machine. My guess is that the model is 1691018.
Gerald

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed in the video that the model number sticker is still on the left front of the frame. If the number is legible, it will be a great help in determining the correct parts for the machine. My guess is that the model is 1691018.
Gerald
You are exactly correct. It is a model 1691018 - 002646 with a mower deck model 1690986.

The PO keep good records. I have some of his repair invoices.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that I found what I need for a snowblower. A seller who is 3.5 hrs away from me has this for sale and there is a cab. I have already informed my bride that I will be making a road trip soon. I have emailed the seller, but it's late and I don't expect to hear from him until tomorrow. MAN, I really hope it's still available. He's asking $250 for the blower and $150 for the cab.

Looks like an electric chute control.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Using a cab while snowblowing is cheating.
Nope...using a cab while snowblowing is keeping warm and dry. The cab makes it enjoyable even on sub zero days with -20 wind chills.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard back from the seller. It's a done deal. I am going to take a road trip. He says that the snowblower came off of his Sunstar. But now he only uses his Sunstar for mowing. That works for me because I am only going to use mine for snowblowing! Well, maybe. My yard is too small to mow with a 48" deck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You've got a great machine there. I have the Deutz Allis version, which is essentially the same machine. Mine came with the 2 stage snowblower and a plow. It really works quite well. If you can find one, you will be happy with hit. Great score!
That looks like a Berco blower to me. They are universal and their undercarriage is built like an erector set. I bought a used Berco last year and mounted it to my Deere. While the complete undercarriage is likely obsolete, parts should still be available. You can probably build or adapt one (which is what I did) from new parts if you find a Berco from a different tractor.

Also, you might be able to purchase a new old stock undercarriage from Jim's Tractor Repair in MN. He is super helpful and knowledgeable but he prices the undercarriages like they are made of gold.

Berco makes an excellent performing blower.

·
Registered
559 Posts
That's a bit too far away from me. I am in NE Wisconsin.
Where? I live in and was born and raised here in New London!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts