My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered this trailer for free so I couldn't pass it up. It measures 6' 9" wide and 12' 4" long. Somewhere in its past it lost a wheel and the spindle appears to have been dragged down the road. It looks homemade, but has an assigned ID tag on it. The guy I got it from just got it from his neighbor and was just going to haul it for scrap. Turns out I know his neighbor and I was told he still has the title for it. We will see if I can track it down. I'm not sure what I will do with it yet, but it would work nice as a farm trailer if nothing else.

Plant Wheel Wood Tree Grassland
Wheel Cloud Sky Tire Plant
Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Plant
Cloud Sky Wheel Plant Tire
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Wheel
Sky Tire Plant Wheel Ecoregion
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Ecoregion

· Kish JD 318/420/430
4,809 Posts
It will be interesting on what repairs and mods you make to get it operational to your liking. Nice find, some people have more luck than others. (y)

· Registered
5,579 Posts
Real nice. The low, low price leaves you a lot of room for some new parts to make it a real useful item!! Looks like a great project. Keep us posted if you can.

Reactions: cjet69

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
I was offered this trailer for free so I couldn't pass it up. It measures 6' 9" wide and 12' 4" long. Somewhere in its past it lost a wheel and the spindle appears to have been dragged down the road. It looks homemade, but has an assigned ID tag on it. The guy I got it from just got it from his neighbor and was just going to haul it for scrap. Turns out I know his neighbor and I was told he still has the title for it. We will see if I can track it down. I'm not sure what I will do with it yet, but it would work nice as a farm trailer if nothing else.

View attachment 2506666 View attachment 2506667 View attachment 2506668 View attachment 2506669 View attachment 2506670 View attachment 2506671 View attachment 2506672
Free is good, looks like it has dexter axles on it.

Home | Dexter Axle Co

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: PA318Guy

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled the damaged spindle to look for some sort of numbers to ID what it is. It was pretty rusty which makes it hard to read anything. I guess I will have to pull the others to see if one has good readable numbers on it.

Font Bicycle part Circle Auto part Artifact
Wood Gas Auto part Font Household hardware

Reactions: bontai Joe

· Kish JD 318/420/430
4,809 Posts
Dexter has few choices, however yours is a flat mounting, where as Dexter's stick out of the mounting part on the back side. Torsion | Dexter Axle Store so you may have to take a good one to either a Auto supply or a suspension shop to see about a exact replacement. Hopefully the others are not as rusted.

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, a year has gone by since I last looked at this trailer. Dad told me that AMC vehicles had bolt on spindles similar to what this trailer has. It just so happens that we have an abandoned AMC Pacer sitting up on the farm from a former renter. I picked it up and put it on some blocking and pulled the front wheels, calipers, and rotors to get a look at the spindles. Sure enough they are bolt on and have the same mounting bolt pattern as the trailer spindle. The only difference is the pacer spindles have larger bearings which is actually better. I think I can bolt the spindles on one axle and be in business with this trailer when I get a deck on it. The original spindle is on the right.

Gas Grass Font Plumbing fitting Brick
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system
Gas Nut Machine Auto part Automotive wheel system
Wood Hat Automotive tire Table Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you ever get the title for the trailer? Cool wheels from that AMC also.
Not yet. About 6 months ago a mutual friend was going to see him and ask about the title, but I didn't hear back. Then I have kinda forgot about it. Now that it looks like I can make repairs I really need to pursue it.

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled the bearings out to clean and repack. Gave the rotors a quick wire brush followed up with a pressure washing. I'm thinking about cutting the disc part off to lose some weight. Figured you guys would like some "EYE CANDY" ;) so I snapped some pics of the Pacer. I tried it today and the engine still turns over.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Plant Vehicle Hood Sky
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bolted one spindle on for now and got 4 tires on so it can be rolled around. I have the other fender for it that needs to be mounted up. The right frame rail has a slight bend that I should be able to straighten with a jack and chain. Then I need to find a tree to cut some decking out of.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Grass Auto part
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Tree Wood Grass Road surface
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tree
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Automotive tire

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the frame rails straightened. When I pulled the last couple boards off I could see the left frame rail had a slight bend also.

· Citizen of Earth
17,005 Posts
Looking good! Any thoughts towards pulling that engine out of the Pacer to use in a future project?

Reactions: cjet69

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking good! Any thoughts towards pulling that engine out of the Pacer to use in a future project?
Nothing planned, but we won't throw it out. Might take what we can salvage and haul the body for scrap.

• Love

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Good deal on the trailer. Not sure how it works in your neck of the woods but if you can't get the original registration, turf the VIN tag on it and get another as if you made the trailer yourself.

Figured you guys would like some "EYE CANDY" ;) so I snapped some pics of the Pacer. I tried it today and the engine still turns over
I actually liked the look of those Pacers although no one said I have good taste :).................Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.